Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

New to the forum, have been lurking around for several weeks.

I am replacing the floorpans in my 67 Coupe, and I was wondering what seam sealer I should use to cover the welds. 3M website has a whole slew of choices, it feels like I'm at Starbucks. All Around Autobody, Heavy-Bodied, Self-Leveling, Firm-n-Fast, Flexiclear, Heavy Drip-Check, Low Fat, Non Fat, Decaf, bla bla bla, etc...

Anyone with a good recommendation?

Thanks.

·
Registered
933 Posts
For the floorpans, I would recomend a good brushable seam sealer. This type comes in quart containers, is easy to apply and the brush marks make it look like seam sealer from the factory.

Scott

·
Registered
696 Posts
Hey Lucky, Heres what I used on my...dare I say GM product
Brushable seam sealer on the floor pans, Fast -N- Firm for the body panel joints, and Heavy drip chek on evry sema in the cowl area. This work well on my former Firebird

·
Registered
2,891 Posts

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
I use the 3M fast-N-firm.... Can be painted in 20 minutes.

Anything that smells that bad has got to be good!

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
I used a sealer that's available at Home Depot. It's marketed as gutter sealer, and is basically a black tar.....Comes in a tube to be dispensed with a "gun."

Best of all - it's supposed to be just like what was used at the factory - and it's cheap. A lot cheaper than the fancy 3M stuff....

I gunned it onto the seam needing sealing, and followed with a disposable brush to get it into the seam.

Wear gloves ! It's nasty stuff to clean up. Dickson

·
Registered
293 Posts
I bought 3M seam sealer at O'Reileys when I replaced my fuel tank. The sealer I got was in the pressurized bottle that was susposed to be easy. I really wanted the kind to put in a caulk gun. Anyway, it is 110 out side and I did what the instructions said to do and I still couldn't get any seam sealer to come out. So, I continue to 'follow the instructions' and still nothing happens. So, I do it again and pretty soon I hear a pop and I have seam sealer all over my nice white shirt and sprayed all over the backyard. Needless to say I painted it on with the glove I was wearing. The sealer smelled kind of bad, but did a nice job. I think next time I will opt. for the brush on kind. Good luck.

P.S. Seam sealer doesn't wash out to well and doesn't kill the grass.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
NAPA Grey Seam Sealer. Its exactly what its made for and what I've used in the past on covering floor pan welds (and cowl welds). It hardens, and it sandable and paintable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts