Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be doing some seam sealing and body caulking this week. I have the 3M seam sealer(brush on) and the 3M body caulk. I will be sealing my floors (new pans both sides, lap welded), cowl, and basicly all areas from toe boards forward.

BTW the car will be restomoded and I have a case of CRC undercoating to use. I plan on putting it along the lap welds and seams as well as the floor pans Will that also seal some seams? There seems to be large areas of caked on black/brown stuff in the cowl extension corners and inside against the firewall seams.

Is there any other type of sealer that I may want to get? Or will what I have work?

Thanks Thomas

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I used the brush on 3M seam sealer in re--sealing my floors.

Here are my lessons learned:
1) Ventilation - need much of this for a long time
2) 14 thin coats are better than glopping it all over the place
3) not following #2 above will cause the sealer to crack due to excessive reduction due to outgassing
4) Ventilation - my car still smells like seam sealer sometimes and I did that over 18 months ago!

Brush on wokrs great. I used 2 quarts of it for the floors and trunk...

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I used 3M's Fast and Firm, which runs through a caulking gun. I used this product for the floor pans, roof drip rail and other interior places. I had some brushable sealer, which was really thick like putty, and I used it in the trunk and around the cowl areas near the firewall. Both worked well.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I used mostly the brush on and the strips. I removed any old sealer I could get to and reapplied new. Helps take care of some of those olds creaking noises.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts