Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i keep seeing lots of talk about sealing seams on floor pans etc, which has raised some questions. I did a search but didnt read each and everypost, but here goes anyways.
I keep reading about caulking and useing seam sealer on the seams on the car. I take it you caulk some of them, and use seam sealer (the tar like stuff you brush on) on others, but not both of them on the same joints? Is that right, or wrong? Stupid question yes, but I have to ask. By looking at my car it appears alot of areas are just caulked, and the ones on the floor areas are the seam sealer (tar stuff). Also, i plan to use a seam sealer from 3m, but what kind of caulk should i get and use? I am looking for a good quality one, so i dont have to redo it every year.
Thanks in advance for you guidance once again.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
3M has a full range of sealers in both tube and can. In general, the caulking materials today are far superior to those originally used on our cars when they were manufactured and will provide years of service without drying out and requiring replacement. The siliconized sealers also come in a number of colors- white, gray and black are the most commonly used. NAPA, some O'Rielly's, and auto paint supply stores willy carry these items as well as have the technical specification sheets which describe the application, benifits and limitations of each product. Reculking the seems on my convertible made a significant improvement in how solid the car felt, as well as the creaks, rattles and groans heard during driving.

Tom Kubler, Long-time Mustang Enthusiast & San Antonio Mustang Club Founder

·
Registered
453 Posts
I use the chalk type seam sealer on all the seams, 3m or napa brand. I tried the brush on type but didn't have very good luck with it. Did not go on as well and was much more difficult to use. I also spray 3m's rubberized undercoating over the top of the seams after the sealer is applied and dried. I always remove all the old sealer, remove any surface rust that may have started under the old stuff and seal away.

67fb (in progress) 68convertible 69Grande'(first car) 79Cobra(bought new)

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
First we need to know if your restoringthe car our just sealing it. If just sealing it the other post will be helpful.

If restoring I would not recommend following all of the suggestions.

In general 3M Firm and Fast can be used on any area that will be painted over It will not move or deform after fully drying. And can be painted over. Other areas you will need sealants (you can color the Firm and Fast) that have the correct color and finish. These are available from a number of places.

If this is the route you are going in we can continue.

Good luck

Jeff Speegle
MCA Shelby Gold Card

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/6473
Mustang & Shelby research, documentation

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1609818&a=12284202&p=44925357&Sequence=7&res=high.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes i am restoring the car and replacing alot of the metal, so i will need to reseal everything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts