Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one definitely falls under the "If it ain't broke, then you haven't messed with it long enough" category but ehh, its a slow day.

HoosierBuddy suggested recently that the FAQ should be updated to include Flyinford's response to the question "Do Vintage Mustangs make good daily drivers?" (See here). With the opposing opinions included, I think its a great idea.

In general though, what do you folks think about taking the most often asked questions and move them into the Mustang FAQ? Things like safety mods come to mind (ie fuel tank "exploding", 3pt seat belts, and steering column replacement). Jay's tire chart is a great example.

When a thread really pegs a question then it can be routed to the FAQ.

I'm coming from the newbie perspective and figure it'd be valuable based on what I've seen on other forums. Head over to RioCar for an example (http://www.riocar.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=FAQ&file=index).

Provided Bob is agreeable, do you think it'd be worthwhile?

·
Registered
771 Posts
I believe that you have read yesterdays post about the VMF deteriotating, And all the peoples opinions, I beleive that we should leave the forum the way it is, as the way it is and the peoples opinion it is strong and will be strong for a long long time so i dont think we should change a thing, but one thing we should change is stop being greedy and start donating some money to bob to help keep this site going, remember there is paypal on the bottom of this site go on click it!!

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I think it is a good idea to move the most aske questions with their answers into the FAQ Not a bad Idea.

K

·
0 Posts
As with all things that seem logical most people never read the FAQs. Its like directions that you get with appliances. One just starts in and if it blows up then read the instructions. Same I figure with the FAQs, some will read them most will still ask the question. I'd suggest let them ask and we all get to make our choice if we want to read the responses.
That my two cents.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
that would be a good idea for some people, I for one have gone to the FAQ area here and found some useful info. it may not stop a noob, but I might find it useful when I am looking for a quick answer to somethingm that I know has come up and I don`t have a lot of time to do a search. on the other hand that kind of info may not be common enough to make it to a FAQ page.
I would also include that page that used to pop up now and then with newbie instructions, I still refer to it now and then

·
Registered
80 Posts
As akbarber said, the FAQ on the empeg/riocar forum is a blessing. It allows everyone to get the wisdom of some of the more knowledgeable members of the forum without those guys getting worn out from constantly posting the same thing over and over. This would certainly not detract from the feeling of the VMF, but if someone has a question about what parts they need for a Granda swap, they can find it easily. If you search for 'granada', there are a ton of threads on it, even signatures, etc. It could take a while to find what you need.

Then, when someone asks a question that is asked all the time, someone can gently point them to the right place in the FAQ. Nobody loses, and the VMF doesn't lose any 'flavor', but we avoid some of the more repetitive threads that keep popping up.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I think it should be done. I will even go so far as to volunteer to edit or write FAQ's. I don't have a degree in writing, but I can hold my own when it comes to BS /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
6,855 Posts
Well, all I said was I thought flyinford did a great post...it was someone else's fine suggestion to update the faq.

The VMF main page includes THIS LINK to frequently asked questions. The page was last updated in 1996. Wow. I guess they made the last classic stang in 1973, so by '96 we should have know EVERYTHING, but still.

It's up to Bob. Whatever he wants to do.

Regarding Search...I've seen more than one post that says "run a search this has all been discussed many times before". Curious about the topic I've run a search and come up empty. Everyone needs to remember that if we discussed it 40 gazillion times in the old forum, that doesn't mean you can find it with a search now. Evidently all those posts are gone gone gone, just like all of our posts to the old courtave.talk.mustang sight that preceeded the old sight. I know I've definitely dated myself to some of you young whipersnapers. Personally I posted over there before I even bought my convertible. I wish I'd known enough to ask the right questions back then.

Anyway the link to the old forum has been broken for months. Only Bob knows if it can ever be fixed.

One thing I assume you all know about is Tom Schmidt's websight that Bob (R5I) hosts. It has information about every topic related to mustangs under the sun...except how to put an AOD-E in one /forums/images/icons/frown.gif That sight is at:

http://links.vintage-mustang.com/

Phil

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
FAQ's are a nice idea but i fear the FAQ police. Where someone will post a question like, "would a 1965 mustang make a good daily driver for a teenager. And have gotten the response "go read the FAQ 23" and most of us regulars will see that and knod our head knowing that it is good advice. The downside is to the new user whos first 10 questions are answered with a "GO READ THE FAQ'S!". One thing i like in the VMF is the personal interaction.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I'm relative new to the forum, but really enjoy scanning the posts for comments and questions pertinent to my cars.

Not sure FAQ would add anything but work and a requirement for additional computer storage.

Having said that, if a large group would benefit and Bob wants to mess with setting it up, I have to concede that it wouldn't hurt anything.

BS

1 - 11 of 11 Posts