Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
I am installing new seatbelts (66 coupe) and noticed I have 7 bolts at what I am assuming is the ‘normal’ length, and 1 that is a little longer. I am asking because the longer length would be helpful for the two holes on the tranny hump (for inner front belts) due to the extra padding and new carpet I installed. I’ve done extensive searches in this forum and the usual suspects (CJ, NPD) and don’t see length variances. Are the front bolts different than the back, and the PO maybe replaced one or more of the long ones with shorter? Thanks.

·
Registered
451 Posts
You might try stacking some washers on a bolt long enough to reach, then tighten it down to compress the carpet and pad. Remove the bolt and washers then quickly install the seat belts with the correct bolts, it worked for me.

·
Registered
537 Posts
The 1966 Interior Assembly Manual notes that all Front Seat Belt Bolts (it doesn't show the Rears) are Part Number 380528-S13 (Coupes and Fastbacks), but doesn't give the dimensions. In going to the 1960-68 Master Parts Catalog, it shows the same Part Number with the description of "Hex Head Shoulder Bolt, 7/16-20 x 1-1/4".
In looking at the 1969 Ford Standard and Utility Parts Catalog, it shows that Part Number 380528-S13 is a 7/16-20, Hex Head,Chrome Shoulder Bolt with a Nylon (loc) insert, and 1-1/2".overall length, and 1" below the head. I believe that the drawing for this is incorrect because the original ones on my 66 do not have a 1/2" head. I believe that the 1" should just be from where the threads start, to the bottom of the bolt. Thus, the 1/2" would include the head and the "shoulder" portion.
This bolt applies to both Standard and Deluxe 1966 Seat Belts.

Just for your information, the Rear Seat Belt Bolts are noted in the MPC as Part Number 380527-S13. In looking at the Standard and Utility Parts Catalog, these are shown as Hex Head, Chrome Shoulder Bolts, 7/16-20, with no Nylon insert, and 1-3/8" overall length, with 1-1/8" under the head. While the Service Parts for the Rear Seat Belt Bolts may have been Chrome as noted, I believe (without pulling my rear seat, that the Factory Rear Seat Belt Bolts were either zinc or cad plated, or zinc dfichromate plated like the ones on my 1967 Rear Belts.

Confusing ; yes. But I hope it helps a little.

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
The front and rear bolts for 66 seat belts are different in my experience.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts