Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and seen people talk about RIT dye. boil water then soak the belts in that for an hour. Will that do anything to the chrome on the belts.

Also What is good to dye the plastic pieces for 1970 seat belts?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I searched and seen people talk about RIT dye. boil water then soak the belts in that for an hour. Will that do anything to the chrome on the belts.

Also What is good to dye the plastic pieces for 1970 seat belts?

Thanks
I would never do this on a car that is driven - it weakens the webbing. Seatbelts are critical safety items.

Have the belts rewebbed.

Good luck,
-Rory

·
Registered
72 Posts
i used the rit black dye on my belts which were faded but in good condition.they look awesome,does nothing to the metal or chrome.as far as plastic dye goes i used vht it is in a spray works great but hard to find maybe try to find their website.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've never tried RIT on seatbelts. It is meant for cotton. I thought seatbelts were nylon or some such man-made fabric and I'm surprised it worked for marks70. I can tell you that, for cotton, it fades if exposed to direct sunlight for long periods of time.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I'd be pretty leery of weakening the webbing. I've always heard never to attempt to re-dye seatbelts, as it causes them to lose a lot of their strength. Not something to skimp on, IMO.

·
Registered
216 Posts
i died a tan suede couch with black rit dye. worked amazing.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I would never do this on a car that is driven - it weakens the webbing. Seatbelts are critical safety items. Have the belts rewebbed.
+1!

·
Registered
194 Posts
If you want your seatbelts redone, I'd take a look at SnakeOyl. They restore seatbelts and from what I've seen at car shows and on AFM, they do really nice work.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
if you that worried dont use 45+ yo belts even if they arent redyed.
Correct. And in fact, even though they were in good cosmetic shape I did replace the belts on my son's 69 with a 3 point restraint. Andover makes modestly priced seatbelt systems if the cost of restoring originals is prohibitive.

This is one of very few safety items on these cars that is a personal choice; the only persons affected will be the passengers of the car and their immediate family; not innocent bystanders. The other one that comes to mind is the spear-o-matic early steering columns...

Drivers of classic cars should be aware of the risks associated with old designs and materials... and should be knowledgable about the condition of the safety equipment and critical components of their cars.

Many of our cars are not daily drivers and the risks of inadequate safety equipment may be acceptable; the only point I am trying to make is that owners should be aware of the risks and their implications...

Good luck,
-Rory

·
Registered
637 Posts
Let's not confuse exposure to UV light ('outdoor exposure') to boiling in water. I'm sure neither outcome is good for belt strength, but the effects are surely different.

We are talking lap belts anyhow. I'd probably rather it break than not break and fold me into the steering wheel. Seatbelts laws are just like any other law, rampant with unintended consequences.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Let's not confuse exposure to UV light ('outdoor exposure') to boiling in water. I'm sure neither outcome is good for belt strength, but the effects are surely different.
Perhaps, but the "outdoor exposure" graph is from the SFI web site. They recommend replacement on a 2 year interval. No one does that in real life that is not racing of course, but I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that a set of vintage mustang belts that are 40-odd years old, faded, and in need of a dye job, need replacing regardless of whether or not someone is going to boil them.

You are free to ignore that suggestion of course.

·
Registered
72 Posts
in case anyone interested you don't have to boil your belts.mix the dye in a bucket of some what warm water toss belts in for an hour or two that's it.if the webbing looked bad or the stiching was bad they would not be in my car.

·
Registered
35,874 Posts
If you have to have original belts, get Ssnake Oyl or Python to put new webs on them. Otherwise, just get these for even less.

Or upgrade to 3-point.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts