Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
That explains a lot :loco:
Before that happened A country backroad excursion with my uncle in his 76 F250 390 4speed 2wd resulted in my head poking his cardboard headliner out while getting airborne >:)
Less fun wuz the time I slipped off the chrome bumper of a 76 AMC hornet early in the morning while getting ready for a camping trip. Yep the boys landed on the trailer hitch, still was able to have kids though explain that :shrug:

·
Registered
863 Posts
Below are the same seats I have with a bar and harness. I have a second set of leather covered ones which need to be redone. Red/white Pony seats would look good.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
This is one that gets deeper and deeper. There is an entire topic around using 4 or more point belts in a car without a roll bar since the roof could crush your head with the belts holding your shoulders in place. My jead already hurts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
569 Posts
ProCar Sportsman vs Sportsman Pro

These seats need to be the sportsman pros. The regular sportsman seat doesn't fit. They are too wide and hit the doors.
Hey @eldog can you elaborate on what you know about this and where do they hit the door? Since I don't have a money tree I'm looking hard at ProCar seats, and on their website, the descriptions of these two lines, Sportsman and Sportsman Pro, have the exact same dimensions, it appears??

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Hey Fish freq, the sportsman pros are 3" more narrow at that shoulder bulge than the regular sportsman. The sportsman hit the door right under where the door lock is located. I tried to push them tight to the tunnel but it still hit. I see your in granite Bay. I'm only 20 mins from you, on the other side of the lake off greenvalley Rd.. Feel free to come check out the seats and get a feel for them. Lmk

·
Registered
569 Posts
Would love to come check car out

Hey Fish freq, the sportsman pros are 3" more narrow at that shoulder bulge than the regular sportsman. The sportsman hit the door right under where the door lock is located. I tried to push them tight to the tunnel but it still hit. I see your in granite Bay. I'm only 20 mins from you, on the other side of the lake off greenvalley Rd.. Feel free to come check out the seats and get a feel for them. Lmk
Hey @eldog that'd be great to come see your ProCar seat setup, heck your whole mustang! I'll PM you shortly...

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I had a race shop fabricate a removable harness bar for my fastback.
I bolt the bar in when I get to the track (6 bolts) and remove it for the drive home.
I bought an extra set of sail panels, so I can conceal the mounting points if I want.

Attachments

·
Registered
569 Posts
best way seat back harnesses

I bolt the bar in when I get to the track (6 bolts) and remove it for the drive home.
I bought an extra set of sail panels, so I can conceal the mounting points if I want.

@Tims65 that's really, for all intents and purposes, the safest way to secure seat back harnesses for track use, and maybe I'll do that in addition to whatever other way I find. I was hoping to set up 4 pt harnesses without a cross bar for just a little added security in daily traffic, taking my daughter to school, work, etc. Wouldn't any dual shoulder restraint be better than nothing? ...just lap belts, I mean.

·
Registered
569 Posts
some kind of triangulated hoop?

I remember looking at belts awhile ago and ran across one that was interesting. It was a 3pt harness. Used the stock 2 side mounting points then you have to add another mount on the floor right behind the seat. So even with low back regular seats it still held you in tight.
Hey Elly @eldog, so are you talking about belts or some kind of triangulated steel hoop? I'm picturing a steel hoop up behind the rear seat, about the same height, with a little kickstand towards the rear like somewhere in the center where rear seat entry and exit are not blocked? I kinda like what I'm picturing in my mind, any clues what belts you may have been looking at?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
No. They we're belts. Imagine a single anchor point on the floor right behind the front seats. Out of the way of rear paasengers. Belt comes up and over seat then splits to the factory seat anchor locations. Looked nice and secure enough for most cars since it basically anchors the same way as you would if you were putting in factory 3points using the roof anchor location. I'll see if I can find them again, it's been a long while since I saw them.

·
Registered
569 Posts
What seats are those?

Below are the same seats I have with a bar and harness. I have a second set of leather covered ones which need to be redone. Red/white Pony seats would look good.
Hey @Ponyboy, what seats are those? Old Camaro or Foxbody Mustang seats? ...and what do you have the upper harnesses attached to?

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Before that happened A country backroad excursion with my uncle in his 76 F250 390 4speed 2wd resulted in my head poking his cardboard headliner out while getting airborne >:)
Less fun wuz the time I slipped off the chrome bumper of a 76 AMC hornet early in the morning while getting ready for a camping trip. Yep the boys landed on the trailer hitch, still was able to have kids though explain that :shrug:
lol....I was unloading a roll of carpet out the back of my old Ford Van with heavy duty hitch with cross piece in a drizzling rain. My helper gave the roll a little shove from inside the van to get it going and both feet slipped and both shins with my own 200 pounds supplemented with a couple hundred pounds of carpet impacted the cross piece. Not sure how long I laid on the wet ground trying to get my breath with my brother (who was at the other end of the roll) standing over me telling me to say something. No exaggeration, I still have places on my shins today from that.
Not as bad a buddy who slipped on the deck of his wet boat and landed hands first on the dock, breaking both arms. Spent a month depending on his wife to scratch his nose and wipe his butt. OUCH!!

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
@Tims65 that's really, for all intents and purposes, the safest way to secure seat back harnesses for track use, and maybe I'll do that in addition to whatever other way I find. I was hoping to set up 4 pt harnesses without a cross bar for just a little added security in daily traffic, taking my daughter to school, work, etc. Wouldn't any dual shoulder restraint be better than nothing? ...just lap belts, I mean.
Not quite, not really and no.
A 3pt is safer than 2pts, a 4 pt is only safer than a 3pt when several other things are considered like a anti-sub belt, HANS and angle of harness for spinal compression or in any roll over sans a roll bar the belts hold you upright
Those 4pt types that go to rear seat belts "might" be OK with a high back seat but it gets worse from there with an angle to the floor being a compactor; as the body moves forward the spine will be compressed. Without the extra precautions a 3pt is better.

Attachments

·
Dimples
4,123 Posts
Holy crap, it's Tim! I haven't seen you around here, but we had some fun in the old StangNet days like... 15 years ago, lol.

Great solution for the harness bar.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Hey @Ponyboy, what seats are those? Old Camaro or Foxbody Mustang seats? ...and what do you have the upper harnesses attached to?
Hey @Fishfreq the seats are "93 Mustang seats. The ones pictured are non-adjustable knee bolsters, which are better then the adjustable knee-bolster style. I have a set of each type.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Holy crap, it's Tim! I haven't seen you around here, but we had some fun in the old StangNet days like... 15 years ago, lol.

Great solution for the harness bar.
LOL!
Yes, I'm back! The car has taken a backseat for the past several years, but I am hoping to put some more effort in to her this Spring.

Tim

·
Registered
569 Posts
A solution for with/without a 4 pt roll cage...

Not quite, not really and no.
A 3pt is safer than 2pts, a 4 pt is only safer than a 3pt when several other things are considered like a anti-sub belt, HANS and angle of harness for spinal compression or in any roll over sans a roll bar the belts hold you upright
Those 4pt types that go to rear seat belts "might" be OK with a high back seat but it gets worse from there with an angle to the floor being a compactor; as the body moves forward the spine will be compressed. Without the extra precautions a 3pt is better.
Looks like the best option for 4 point harness attachment quick removal for backseat passengers would be the type that go to the rear seat belts at a less severe downward angle? I'm picturing them attaching to something down in the rear seat crease where the old lap belts reside? I know our old cars don't have low infant car seat anchors, but something like fabbed that where you could quickly clip on, clip off the shoulder harnesses would do the job, right?

Wonder if there's a quick clip out there strong enough for an adult?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread but I am trying to figure out the same thing as everyone here: How do I add better restraints without a roll cage?

One caveat: my car is street driven and not raced much, I don't need to pass tech or anything, I just want something a little safer than the factory belts. I'm not opposed to adding a small non-obtrusive roll bar but would rather avoid it if possible.

Has anyone had any luck with these 3 point harnesses from Corbeau and Schroth?

https://www.schrothracing.com/products/rallye-belts

https://corbeau.com/other/harness-belts/3-point-retractable-harness-belt.html

The Schroth ones claim they are DOT approved. The Corbeau ones are retractable so maybe that's better in case of a roll over so your head doesn't act as a the roll bar. I am not an expert in safety restraints or anything but would love some advice on what to do. My 68 coupe still had the factory seats without headrests, so those will need to be replaced as well but I wanted to get a full plan in place before buying piece meal parts.

Thank you all!

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread but I am trying to figure out the same thing as everyone here: How do I add better restraints without a roll cage?

One caveat: my car is street driven and not raced much, I don't need to pass tech or anything, I just want something a little safer than the factory belts. I'm not opposed to adding a small non-obtrusive roll bar but would rather avoid it if possible.

Has anyone had any luck with these 3 point harnesses from Corbeau and Schroth?

https://www.schrothracing.com/products/rallye-belts

https://corbeau.com/other/harness-belts/3-point-retractable-harness-belt.html

The Schroth ones claim they are DOT approved. The Corbeau ones are retractable so maybe that's better in case of a roll over so your head doesn't act as a the roll bar. I am not an expert in safety restraints or anything but would love some advice on what to do. My 68 coupe still had the factory seats without headrests, so those will need to be replaced as well but I wanted to get a full plan in place before buying piece meal parts.

Thank you all!
if you have a 68 it should have the mounting points for the typical three point belts, similar to any new car. What else are you looking for?

Try these folks. https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/c-1389346-shop-by-vehicle-ford-mustang-mustang-3-point-conversion-kits.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw_5rtBRDxARIsAJfxvYA_KdXOS2bcf7qZEClbwvjtJpuNuOy-Gw4y0uOVRQgSrppNF2k2kNIaAlZsEALw_wcB Google is wonderful.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts