Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for comments on installing an aftermarket seat belt system in a '66; one which includes shoulder restraints. Is this within the realm of possibility? Do people do this? How expensive and difficult is the process? Any major pitfalls?

·
Registered
220 Posts
If you can, get the August edition of Mustang Monthly and in it there is a very good article on installing three point seatbelts. It looked like a fairly easy project and cheap too compared to how it will save your life.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I put mine in about the same location as that Mustang Depot article (only better), and was told they were "dangerously installed" ::

·
Registered
72 Posts
I would be leary of putting a shoulder seat belt in that attaches to the chasis at a point behind and below your shoulder. In a convertible, you're stuck. But in a coupe or fastback, I would attached the upper point in the roof. Physiologically, you will compress your spine obliquely in a crash when the belt is attached below your shoulder.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I wasn't knocking your install midpack; the design of the aftermarket kits is faulty. It substitutes one set of dangers for another (facial compression vs. spinal compression ::).

Put it this way, when the body that sets mandatory safety specifications for NASCAR, NHRA, SCCA, etc. says that "if the upper attachment point falls significantly below the driver's shoulder, then a spinal compression injury is likely to occur," that is, exactly how the aftermarket kits place it, that sounds dangerous to me.

Read this for more information.

P.S. Tweak noted, midpack ::

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Ken, I`m just tweaking you ;)
I have much thicker skin than that ::
I understand the risk and was just pointing it out as you were to me. That`s what makes this site great IMHO ::

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I had a six-point roll cage installed in my kids' '65 fb, which does three things: (1) gives you a place to attach a loop for an inertia reel belt; (2) gives you roll-over, side impact, and rear impact protection; and (3) significantly stiffens the car. Cost at a professional shop was high -- $1500 plus $160 (iirc) for front and rear belts -- but the cost/benefit ratio is extremely favorable.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
In my son's '65, we installed 3 point belts by welding anchors into the roof pillars. We broke the welds at the back of the roof side pillars, drilled 3 holes in the pillar (one large, 2 small), then slid the anchors into the pillars. We lined up the big hole with the threads of the seat belt anchor and then used the 2 small holes to weld the anchor into place. We then pushed the pillars back into place at the back where we broke the welds and re-welded them. When we were done, we a had a professional looking job that was even more secure than the upper mounts in the '68/later cars (they use very tiny anchors). The problem, though, is that this needs to be done before ANY of the interior goes in. His car was nothing but a shell when we did it.

The 3 point belts, I'm convinced is what allowed him to walk away with nothing more than 2 bruises when his car got CREAMED on the interstate highway.

·
Registered
193 Posts
so, in my convertible, do you think it would be better to just use lap belts or go ahead and use the faulty 3-point seat belts?

·
Registered
42 Posts
In my 65 coupe, I installed Schroth belts. They are 4 point belts, over both shoulders, like a pair of suspenders. They have an inertia reel which lets them slack off a bit,if you wanna change the radio, or start the darn car....then they lock up with any change in motion, cornering,braking, or, uh...crashing. They do bolt to the rear seat are, next to the rear seatbelts, if I recall. Because of the force placed on the seat in event of a crash, Schroth requires an upgrade to a steeltubing frame in the seats. They provide a list, Volvo, Porsche, etc and in the aftermarket, many will work, Recaro, Corbeau. I used Flo-Fits, and the people there are nice folks, I chose my own materials, too.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
so, in my convertible, do you think it would be better to just use lap belts or go ahead and use the faulty 3-point seat belts?
Like I said above, neither is a good choice IMHO. My install, which is still in progress (see pic above and others on my page) uses FOMOCO van shoulder harnesses with a 12" pivot point extension. The extension is anchored to the chassis at the upper convertible top frame mounting point, which places the belt pivot about three inches ABOVE the shoulder. Added benefit is that it does not, like the current aftermarket kits, have the disadvantage of hacking the interior quarter panel or drilling/welding the doorjamb.

I will have some more pics and narrative soon. Do a search on my name since mid-July I've posted several times on this approach.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts