Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
I need a lens for a 66 also and would be interested in getting a lens from you if they turn out ok. Mine did not say seatbelt it said “BRAKE” instead. I assume it’s for the parking brake warning light. I suppose since it’s a timer controlled light it could be used for either though.

·
Dimples
4,381 Posts
Can someone shed some light on this for me? (No pun intended)

My daughter’s 66 came with brake and seatbelt light bezels and holes in the dash. I figured this was retrofitted from a newer model by a previous owner. Could these be stock?

edit: sorry for the thread hijack. :)

·
Registered
827 Posts
Mine was in the car when I bought it back in 1989. It was missing the outer bezel but the internal light socket, spring, relay and wiring was still in the car. The hole did not look to be drilled but punched. The wiring and relay appear to be stock ford. The relay was attached to the wiper motor mount as I’ve seen in other cars.

My guess is this was a factory option but it could have been added at some point. I just don’t see the guy I bought the car from ever adding this but who knows what’s happened in the 23 years before I got it.

If it helps I have a 66 C code fastback that originally came with a 3 speed trans. 2 barrel carb, no ac no power steering and single exhaust. Very plain Jane low optioned car. It seemed weird to me that this car had the brake light warning light option, but it definitely looked original. Who knows.

·
Dimples
4,381 Posts
Mine was in the car when I bought it back in 1989. It was missing the outer bezel but the internal light socket, spring, relay and wiring was still in the car. The hole did not look to be drilled but punched. The wiring and relay appear to be stock ford. The relay was attached to the wiper motor mount as I’ve seen in other cars.

My guess is this was a factory option but it could have been added at some point. I just don’t see the guy I bought the car from ever adding this but who knows what’s happened in the 23 years before I got it.

If it helps I have a 66 C code fastback that originally came with a 3 speed trans. 2 barrel carb, no ac no power steering and single exhaust. Very plain Jane low optioned car. It seemed weird to me that this car had the brake light warning light option, but it definitely looked original. Who knows.
Thanks! For reference, I'm talking about a 66 C code coupe with only the Visibility Group option. Maybe it included these too? That would be 2 more holes I don't have to weld up, so that makes me happy, lol.

·
Premium Member
3,772 Posts
They were a factory (punched) or dealer installed (drilled) option.
The seat belt warning lamp is something that came with the Deluxe Belts option that had front retractors and push-button receivers at all four positions in 1966 rather than aircraft lever style.
The parking brake warning lamp is handy to prevent driving with the brake partially on and smoking your rear brakes.
One could also use these lamp locations for some other indicator if you wanted.

·
Dimples
4,381 Posts
They were a factory (punched) or dealer installed (drilled) option.
The seat belt warning lamp is something that came with the Deluxe Belts option that had front retractors and push-button receivers at all four positions in 1966 rather than aircraft lever style.
The parking brake warning lamp is handy to prevent driving with the brake partially on and smoking your rear brakes.
One could also use these lamp locations for some other indicator if you wanted.
Oooooh, I could make the seatbelt light a shift light. That'd be cool. Thanks for the idea!

·
Premium Member
3,772 Posts
Oooooh, I could make the seatbelt light a shift light. That'd be cool. Thanks for the idea!
Now, you're thinking.
It could be a low oil or brake pressure light, charging system light, flashing security LED, check engine light for somebody running late model stuff, cooling system temp warning...all kinds of stuff.

Reactions: BlakeTX

·
Premium Member
3,772 Posts
If I can get over to Hobby Lobby, I'm gonna try making some of these for the heck of it and I'll send you guys some to see if they work.

·
Registered
661 Posts
My brake lens is missing, but here’s a shot of the seat belt and a caliper measurement on the height of the font. View attachment 758484
The smallest letters I have found are 1/16 inch, but it looks like 1/8 will be close at .125”. I will be out for the next two weeks, but when I return I’ll make a few lenses. Hopefully they will be usable.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts