Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Can I dye the red strap and paint the buckle or is it better to buy a whole new setup? I have a 65 Fastback.
Please advise and thank you for your email.
Chris W San Antonio, Tx

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Hi,

I have no personal experience on this, but I've read they don't take dye well because they are nylon.

I have had good results in cleaning a set by soaking them for a couple of days in a bucket of water and BIZ color safe bleach. They didn't come out perfect, but they were much, much better.

Good luck,
John Thomas

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I have read that you can get a fine restoration of your belts by some guys in Tyler. I think it was ssnakeoyl. I can't seem to pull up the website. Does any one else know about them? I don't know about price, but they supposedly do an excellent job. Good Luck, Todd P.

G

·
0 Posts
Yes, those snake oil guys do a nice job. I think Dallas Mustang used to do it also. BUT, i don't thinkyou need to do that because it is very expensive. As long as you are starting with a decent set of belts you wont need them unlesss you need a PERFECT belt restoration where they sew on new tags and such. If this is not that type of car you can get excellent results the following way...I just did this 2 weeks ago and mine came out great! Separate all the belts and loosen them all the way up. Get a 5 gallon bucket and fill it with that Oxyclean stuff. Any brand will work. I bought mine at Albertsons grocery store for around 5 bucks. get a bucket full of a strong solution of this stuff. Dump in the belts and let them soak for about 15 minutes. Give mild scrub with brush. Then dump out the solution and wash bucket well. Get clean water and soak belts giving mild quickie scrub with clean brush. Dump out water and get fresh water, repeat rinse THREE times. Lay out belts neatly to dry in sun. After only about 15 minutes in the hot sun mine were dry. Buy 2 packets of RIT DYE. Mine were black so I bought black dye. The little packets are only a few dollars each and are also sold at grocery store. 2 packets in a 5 gallon bucket halfway filled with water. MIX. Put belts in for around 15 minutes. Take out and HANG dry in sun for an hour at least. This is exactly what I did to my belts and they came out GREAT! Now, I still have a few minor insignificant pits on the chrome part, but that is really hidden most of the time. All this cost me was two hours and about 10 bucks. Those seatbelt restorers want like $400 for a complete set to be done! But it all depends what yo uare looking for. Oh yeah, I jbought a can of spray paint and passed a light coat over the buckles. they look great. Be sure to buy the spray paint that says for platic, it sticks better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts