Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 65 coupe that did not come with rear sert belts. What is the best way to get them to line up. I can't find any bolt holes or spots where they might go. I know you guys can help me.
John

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Find a 66 and measure for a pattern. I put rears in my 64 1/2 (it didn't come w/ any!) and used LARGE washers on both sides with a large bolt.

G

·
0 Posts
From my '66 coupe.

Measuring from the transmission hump center line: The inboard measures 5 3/4 inches and the outboard measures 21 1/4 inches over.

Vertically: On the panel behind the rear seat that the transmission hump meets. There are two horizontal bends in the rear panel. From the lower bend, the inboard measures 2 3/8 inches down. The outboard measures 1 7/8 inches down. You have to extend a pencil line over to the outboard location as the bend line in the metal peters out.

You can get OE style backing plates from most catalogs. They weld in. Its a little easier to use a weld in plate since you don't need a person inside and outside the car. If you use an OE shoulder bolt the belt can pivot as its supposed to. If you use an aftermarket kit with big washers, they clamp down tight and don't allow the belt to rotate. The fix for that would be to use a lock nut instead of the supplied nut.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts