Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read where NPD more expensive seat foam is the best but me being on a budget CJ Pony has there sale going plus free shipping but they only have one seat foam they sell.$48.41 per bucket seat with free shipping while on sale. And NPD is $86.95per seat plus over size shipping. Any one here ever use CJ Pony seat foam? Is it that much less quality than NPD foam they sell? This is just going to be a nice daily driver for my son and maybe a cruise in or two.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I would see if either sites part number matches the other, because neither dealer makes these things, they just resell and I doubt many places make that part, but I have been wrong once before (I think it was in the mid 70's tho).

·
Registered
50 Posts
ymurf: From previous experience I would only use seat buns made by American Cushion Industries. I believe that is the brand that NPD sells. Others that have used bargain buns have regreted it.

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
i bought the cheap foam and regret it , it just doesn't have the right shape and not enough height on the outer bun. didn't relize this till i finished the reupholstery job and saw others . now i have to decide do i un do it and spend more money to make it right .or just live with it .

spend the extra $$ and do it right
pic

·
Registered
9,999 Posts
As alread said, if the product number and manufacturer matches, well, go with the lower price.

But eventually it always comes down to this; "You gets whats you pays for".

·
Registered
115 Posts
I recently reupholstered a set of 90 GT seats for my 65 coupe. I purchased TMI upholstery and new foam from CJs. The foam that I received was not from TMI and did not fit the seat covers very well. CJs took the foam back without any problem and I ordered TMI seat foam from them. The TMI foam was much better and fit the upholstery well. Bottom line from my point of view is get your foam and seat covers from the same manufacturer. Personally, I prefer TMI. Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I recently reupholstered a set of 90 GT seats for my 65 coupe. I purchased TMI upholstery and new foam from CJs. The foam that I received was not from TMI and did not fit the seat covers very well. CJs took the foam back without any problem and I ordered TMI seat foam from them. The TMI foam was much better and fit the upholstery well. Bottom line from my point of view is get your foam and seat covers from the same manufacturer. Personally, I prefer TMI. Good luck with your project.
I used CJ Pony parts for my seat foam and have been very happy with the results... no complaints...

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
i dunno im really a cheapo and re used my original foam since it was in good shape and wasent disenergrated in any way. they all came out fine.

under it all i did find a beer cap from the early 70's and a business card from some framing contractor in Southern Cali.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts