Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I’m 6 foot 4+, with a weird long torso. 6’ 4 1/2” with a 32 inch inseam.

My sons 66 Mustang, recently officially became my 66 Mustang.

What I’m looking for is if anyone has seen or created a formula for seat placement based on body dimensions. I know that I can get seat rail extenders and shorter seat platforms, but I’m not certain that is going to put me far enough down and back to keep my head of the roof and knees from interfering with the steering wheel and turn signal.

My son is 6’ and fits pretty well in it. Now that it’s officially Dad’s, fitting in it is more of a priority.

Been playing with searches but haven’t figured out how to ask so here I am.

Anyone worked out finding correct seat placement for a first gen Mustang?

·
Registered
786 Posts
You might be right. I am 6ft with a long torso. I have the seat track extenders and a tilt Ididit steering column. While I am comfortable, my head it pretty close to the roof and I don't think I could operate the clutch if I had one.

·
Registered
103 Posts
So, the leg length with the "normal" seat is ok, but it's the height of the seat that you need lower (whether it's more tilt or just lower, or both), right?
This is something that normally 6-position electric seats can solve, but the problem with power seats is that the motors need extra clearance, which raises the seat height.
?I think I have seen where someone cut out the seat pan and welded in a dished pan to lower the seat further.

·
Premium Member
5,617 Posts
Regardless of what you may end up doing with the seats/risers etc., you may want to look at one piece headliners too. They provide considerably more headroom than stock. Mine is from Mustangs to Fear and I think it's terrific, I believe TMI makes some nice one's as well. :)

·
Registered
914 Posts
I m 6'6" (hence "Tallguy" ;)) I have not driven my car yet, but did install 3" custom seat track extensions. My inseam is 36" so a bit leggy I think. It is a bit of a balancing act as at full 3" back, I have great leg room but I am right at the limit of reaching the steering wheel comfortably. I have a vert so head room is not an issue even with the top up. I did not lower my seat pan as the vert is much more involved and I did not need it with the 3" extension (though 1-2" drop would have given me more room under the wheel if I wanted to stay stock). This a 15" diameter steering wheel, smaller than stock.

Another thing on headroom I did not think about at the time is when I do new seats it will raise me up some. This is a concern for me but it is what it is.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Harlon, I've had my '65 Fastback since '83. I'm 6'2", 33" inseam. Both my legs and head were cramped in the car. My Mustang is currently disassembled for a rebuild and is not back on the road yet, so I haven't been able to test this configuration in action. However, I have mocked up the changes that I made and they seem to work for me.

I found instructions for lowering and re-positioning the seat pedestal on the Mustangs Plus website. I lowered the pedestal about 1" and moved it back 2". I also purchased the Mustangs-to-Fear one-piece headliner which gains another inch or two overhead. I'm using a Corbeau performance-style seat & rail (Model: RRX) that sits a bit lower than the stock seats. I also installed an I-Did-It tilt steering-column so I could get in over the seat bolsters. All combined, I have adequate headroom and legroom.

Issues:
1. It's a bit of a reach to the 15" steering wheel. I now have power R&P installed, so the reduced leverage shouldn't be a problem.
2. The back seat legroom is gone (as you likely surmised). Not a concern for me as I'm building a '65 Shelby tribute and have installed the flat panel in place of the seats
3. I have a bit of a stretch to the gearshift handle when pushed into gears 1/3/5 on my T5 manual. I can probably deal with that, but I am on the lookout for a gearshift re-positioning system (or a good design I can fab).

By the way, I searched the Mustangs Plus website and didn't find the article for the pedestal-mod - maybe it's still there and I just didn't find it. I have a copy of the instructions if you want. Just PM me with your e-mail. Jim

·
Premium Member
5,617 Posts
I have a bit of a stretch to the gearshift handle when pushed into gears 1/3/5 on my T5 manual. I can probably deal with that, but I am on the lookout for a gearshift re-positioning system (or a good design I can fab).
See my thread titled Remote Short-Throw Shifter to see one way. One year on the road now and still no adjustments needed. Of all the unique mods I came up with for my car this is my favorite.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
As the seat moves back it gets lower and provides more headroom, also the tilt provides an exponential amount of leg room so a little goes a long way.
Depending on your solution 3.5" is about max because you then run out of support from the seat pan. I went too far the first time and it makes the seat springy and I had to put a 2x4 on the floor to support the rear of the seat.. I went back but then spaced the rear of the seat up to get good with the wheel.
After you pick a spot, or maybe even before you move the seat, you can fine tune with spacers either under the front or rear where the seat bolts to the track.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Depending on your solution 3.5" is about max because you then run out of support from the seat pan. I went too far the first time and it makes the seat springy and I had to put a 2x4 on the floor to support the rear of the seat.. I went back but then spaced the rear of the seat up to get good with the wheel.
I added an extension for this reason so the support is like stock. My seat tracks are custom though
Zz Seat Track 2.JPG

zz sedat track1.JPG

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have an issue with moving the seat base back. If you look at the floor structure you will see that the front of the seat support provides all the structure for the rear end of the front floor support. Without the seat base there the floor support (AKA frame rail) is free to flop up and down with only the floor pan holding it in place.

I want to lower and move mine back but I don't want the frame rails to loose that structure so I will have to look at what I can build to go in there. I have thought about doing what tallguy did for his adding that shelf on the back in addition to lowering the support.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have an issue with moving the seat base back. If you look at the floor structure you will see that the front of the seat support provides all the structure for the rear end of the front floor support. Without the seat base there the floor support (AKA frame rail) is free to flop up and down with only the floor pan holding it in place.

I want to lower and move mine back but I don't want the frame rails to loose that structure so I will have to look at what I can build to go in there. I have thought about doing what tallguy did for his adding that shelf on the back in addition to lowering the support.
Thanks to everyone. I just quoted this response but it speaks a bit to what I think I need to do in conjunction with the mods Tallguy made. I think I’m going to have to cut out the pan and then set up the seat on spacers to get the pan height right with the roof. Lower the pan accordingly and then extend it into the back footwell to get the distance from the steering wheel right.
As I sit now I can’t see out the rear view mirror without hunching uncomfortably or use the visor pretty much at all. Early on my son and I pulled the seats and carpet to see how the floor looked. My son joked that with the seats out and me sitting on the pan behind the wheel I fit in the car perfect.
I’m no expert but I agree that I don’t want to mess with the structural integrity added by the front of the seat pan.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm 6'4" with short legs (32 inseam) as well. When I first bought my 66 coupe I could barely drive it and getting in and out was entertaining for everyone but me.
So far I've added rail extensions and a 14" steering wheel.
I was surprised to find out 66 stock seats do recline, sort of. So I turned the bolt in under the seat back. With this setup I can drive the car but still need more headroom.

Lower cougar seat platforms are on the to do list. I'd like to keep the OEM style headliner but will cave and go one piece if headroom is still an issue after the platforms are done.

·
Registered
43 Posts
See my thread titled Remote Short-Throw Shifter to see one way. One year on the road now and still no adjustments needed. Of all the unique mods I came up with for my car this is my favorite.
Interesting design, 4ocious.
Thx for pointing it out!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts