Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on 68's seats, what is normally done to replace the burlap that has all those .020" or so spring steel rods running through it? Can you just leave as is a lay a new piece of burlap over the top (between the old piece and the springs)? thanks,

bill

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Absolutely... However it is not that difficult to "weave" the metal bars into a new piece of burlap.

-Rory

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
I agree. just cut out the wires from the old burlap and weave through the new burlap. Be sure to measure the approximate square footage area that they are covering so you can duplicate it in the new burlap.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where the ends the wires are wrapped arround the cord can you straighten them enough to get the cords out and back in with the ends breaking off? thanks

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Hmm...
I did not do it that way... I cut the cord material, left the "loops" intact, and replaced the cord with a length of mechanic's wire. The cord is more or less there just to keep the rods from moving... nothing special about it. If someone wants to remove my seats and look inside to see that I did not use cord, well that's fine with me!

-Rory

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I have I trick to do this so you don't have to weave the wires through. Take the new burlap and fold it back and forth. The folds should be about 1 - 1 1/2" apart. stick your wire through the center every inch across the length. then unfold the burlap and presto !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts