Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got '69 standard seats with headrest in my '66 daily driver, but they are starting to rip. My back seat is ripped too. I would like to have the interior match front and rear as close as possible. Will '66 seat covers fit over the '69 seat frames that I have, or is the '69 seat larger. The headrests are in OK condition, so this isn't an issue. I'm sure it's not a perfect fit, but I am wondering how much fudge factor would be involved. I guess the other option is to find a custom upholstery shop, but I would prefer going the less expensive route and putting the cash to more important upgrades. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Oh geeze. Please don't try it. I went through almost a year of heck trying to get 70 seatcovers to fit my 70 seatframes. The 69/70 seatframes are different than the earlier models. There are even differences between 69 and 70. There is NO fudge factor room to "stretch" 66 seat covers onto a 69 seatframe. The TMI seatcovers for at least the 70 are so tight you have to silicone the seat foam to get them on. If you want a match to your rear seats, contact Classic mustang parts of Virginia and have them order you a couple yards or more of the 66 fabric in the color/year you need. You can get it on the bolt and take it to an upholstry shop and have them match the 66 design, on a 69 seat.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Because the '66 stock seats (rear) have wide horizontal seams and the '69 seats (front) have narrow vertical seams. They don't match too well. If I had a choice, I would want it all to look like '66 upholstery. I guess I could go the other way too, and make them all look like '69 seats. It is a driver, but I don't want to bastardize the poor car more than it already is.

Looks like I need to call the local upholstery shop.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
You want custom upholstery. Just doing the seats is not as expensive as you might imagine. Check with a local auto upholstery shop...check references first!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts