Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The slap from the seatbelts retracting has banged up my deluxe door grills and I was wondering if it was possible to restore them.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
What exactly has been damaged? Is it possible to get me a picture?

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have a pic but I can get one pretty easy. The aluminum ribbed grills with the red and white lights in them at the bottom of the inside of the doors have a tendency to get smacked by the retracting seatbelt and over the years have gotten a bit banged up. That's what I was writing about; I'll get a pic later if you think you can help.
Thanks.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I ask because I have the same exact problem with my Mustang. Uneducated people don't hold the seatbelt when they release it and thus, causes damage over the years. I actually just replaced the panels after touching them up a little. A picture would make everything much easier!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
It's drastic, but here is what I did on my '67 (only the top bar was dented from the belts snapping back). First, have a roll of aluminum tape on hand. Fill the dents with Metal To Metal, smooth the surface, then lay on a strip of the tape and trim with a razor blade. The color of the tape is not an exact match to the anodized color, but it is so close that unless you 'study' the grill it's virtually invisible. Did this a dozen years ago or better on the GTA and it's still holding up. Beats the devil out of springing for the cost of new ones.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts