Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a '69 Mach 1 and I am trying to figure out the seat belts. The retractable lap belt and the shoulder belts are there (on both driver and passenger sides) but there is only one receiver(female) for each seat.

Am I wrong in thinking that there should be two receivers per seat (one for the lap belt and one for the shoulder belt)?!?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Like this...
thanks and,

interesting ..... the picture shows that they are actually sewn together!?!

the single receivers(female ends) that came with my car haven't been altered so I am guessing that instead of missing the second set of receivers as I had initially thought, my car has the wrong receivers all together.......

or is there any chance that the car originally came without the shoulder belt and someone added it?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ya sure, Previous owners do some wacky stuff all the time....

Weren't lap belts part of the deluxe interior? does your door tag tell you what interior was offered originally?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
my parents had our 88 grand marquis modified with separate shoulder belts in addition to the lap belts and it was anoying as hell to buckle up 2 diferent seat belts.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Neither one of my mach1's had shoulder belts. Were they standard issue, or were they an option?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I may be wrong but I believe 1969 was the first year both the lap and shoulder belt was mandatory by the Feds.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I may be wrong but I believe 1969 was the first year both the lap and shoulder belt was mandatory by the Feds.
No, it started in '68, where shoulder harnesses were mandated by law. All Mustangs had a lap and a separate shoulder belt, whether standard or deluxe interior, Mach I, lowly Coupe, etc. I know they were this way for 1968 and 1969. 1970s were a little different.

You have the "normal" retractor on the outside of the car (the left on the driver's side). Your sewn-together '69 belts have two female end and attach on the hump as normal--one female belt is short and the other is longer. Then there is another separate male belt that attaches on the roof, thru the headliner. When you've got the lap and the separate shoulder harness fastened, you can't reach the radio knobs! But you're certainly safer than just having the lap belt on.

Over the last 40 years, it's pretty common that a guy replaces the headliner (to eliminate the shoulder belt) and just uses a set of single female-ended belts in the front to eliminate the obnoxious shoulder harness. I have two '69s that are this way now...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts