Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make my seats safer. The catch is my interior is red and new from the PO and I like the stock seats. If I update with 3-point belts and headrests will this set-up be safe, even with the non-locking seats?

I can buy some Mach 1 seats and recover to match my red interior, but this conversion would be about $800.00, ouch!

SWMBO want head rests in the back for the little ones. Has anybody done this mod?

·
Registered
923 Posts
Do a search on safety and seats.
WE have 70 high back seats and my head hits the roof while driving. I'm 6'2". For the money look at Procar seats by Scat. $700 and they are new seats which meet all federal safety standards. You can have them custom color matched for the same amount.
How little ore the little ones? If real little they should be in a child seat. If to big for that consider installing headrests. How, I'm not sure. You will have to find the head rest reciever, mount it and buy head rests for it. It sounds like a trip to the junk yard for this one. Do a search about headrests. I know they are made for front seats but you'll have to see if you can put them in the back.
Also consider rear 3 point seat belts. thats not a hard instalation.
Also consider a solid barrier behind the rear seat. If the rear end is hit the fuel tank can rupture, better yet install a Fuel Safe fuel cell.
Dave

·
Registered
532 Posts
I read a previous post about a couple of guys who installed
98 Mustang GT leather seats another 88 T-bird leather, easy installation very good fit. I did a search on a junkyard parts locator here in WA and there were plenty of those seats around, electrical or not. From 500 / pair in excellent cond. down to 100 bux for a pair. Maybe thats something for you?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I can get the Pro-Car seats color matched to 66 red, this is the way I will go. I will call Mustangs Plus. The price to redo the old seats is pretty high. If I could find good condition seats in red, it would be perfect.

My wife and I are very safety aware. Two kids are still in boosters, one is not. I am going to install the 3-point in back for sure so we can have the kids in the car and feel a little safer. I saw in a recent Mustang & Ford article about a company who made head rests, but I can not find the mag.

I already have the metal fire wall installed.I am interested in doing the door jamb mount because the next Pony will be a convertable and this way I will know exactly how to do it.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The main point is this; the original seats do not have locking backs. If I install headrests and 3-point belts with the older seats is this as good as installing a high back seat?

This option would be way cheaper to do and I would not be waisting the completly redone stock seats. This is not a comparison to the Pro-Scat seats since they are modern and meet the present federal safety standards.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts