Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, how would you go about to re-upholster the front and back seats on a '66 mustang. Also, do you put the front seat side molding/shield while your re-uphostering it or is that the last thing you do to the seat. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

- Just one more fight and I'll be history yes I will straight up leave your [censored] and you'll be the one who's left missing me (yeah) this time I'm a let it all come out this time I'm a stand up and shout I'm a doing things my way. -Limp Bizkit

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
seat covers are installed by using hog rings. you need a special set of pliers.. called hog ring pliers to install them.

the chrome trim on the seat just goes on last. it's best once you remove the chrome mouldings to screw the screws back into the holes so that you can find them easily once you put the new cover on.

try to set the new covers out in direct sunlight before you install them. this will make the material more flexible. Also, don't forget to transfer the rods in the seats. You should see little pockets where there are rods, like coat hanger type thickness. You have to re-use these. When you start putting on the cover, you start by installing the rods first. It is important to not go too tight with these or put too many on. If you pull tight and/or put too many hog rings on, the seat will look wavy.

if you are not sure if you can do it, take them to an auto upholstery shop for a quote.

Charles Turner
MCA Gold Card Judge(64.5-65, 66)
'65 Fastback
'00 GT Conv, triple black

Check out my 65 [color:blue]fastback!</font color=blue>

·
Registered
926 Posts
Have you every had a rear seat that allowed you to see the side edge of the interior quarter panel? I recovered some seats in my coupe a few years ago, and after I put them back in I could see a large gap where the seat ended and the metal interior quarter panel used on coupes began. When installed you could see the whole side flange of the panel, plus a inch gap. All I could figure is that I put the covers on too tight and made the rear seat thinner than it used to be. I've looked at the back of the seat and it doesn't look like I've pulled any great amount of vinyl behind the sides or anything, so I'm a bit miffed.

Have any of you guys experienced this?

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1575122&a=11977248&p=43129086.jpg
66 C-code convertible
66 C-code coupe
65 GTO hardtop
76 Nova hatchback

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
COOL!!! Now I know how to fix the gap in mine!

66 Coupe, 289/2v, C4, CA Red

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
First, get yourself a full upholstry kit for your year/model/color. The primary brands are TMI and Distinctive Industries, available from pretty much any Stang supply house. I've heard pros and cons on both brands. I used TMI, and was pleased. I forget the cost, but I believe it's under $200 for the whole shooting match. Then get yourself a good set of hog ring pliers and a buttload of hogrings. Again, the Stang supply house should be able to steer you right on this. Then ... just go for it! Pay close attention to how the old upholstry came off and do it the other way around. As others have said, warmed up upholstry works better, and don't forget to save and re-use the seam wire from the old.

ps: Pay no attention to CalPoppy's Limp Bizkit comments. I think maybe he's just an old fart, and doesn't understand the ways of us youngsters!

pss: What's a "Limp Bizkit"

DanM
66 Coupe, check her out at http://www.66CoupeNW.stangnet.com

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I just completed a complete reupholstery on my 65 coupe. I also replaced the seat buns on mine. Do small parts at a time, as your fingers will be full of holes and very sore. The back seat was easy, because there is no seatbuns for them.

If you have more questions, email me. My address is in my profile.

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571478&a=12409371&p=45514468.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts