Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Now that I've been driving my Fastback quite a bit, or whenever it's nice enough to, I am faced with the challenge of figuring out how I can keep my eye on it wherever I stop. This time of year, that makes even going to eat tough as there's not always a window seat - lol.

Seriously, the 65-66 cars are ridiculously easy to steal, and I'm wondering what kinds of things you all do to protect them from theft.

Thanks in advance.

-bob

http://www.vintage-mustang.com/images/header.gif

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
I try not to be in a situation where I can't see it but when forced to I remove and take the coil wire. If it is overnight (like in a motel) then I remove the coil wire AND put a padlock on one of the hood pins (Shelby style hood). I have not done this but I know I can remove my steering wheel in about 30 seconds so I guess that is another option.

Paul
1965 Mustang 2+2
1989 Mustang GT Convertible
MCA #27261
MCA certified judge for 65's and late models

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I'm sure you could go out and get an alarm installed, or you could just add a hidden kill switch somwhere. I'm installing a Pertronix and i'm going to install a switch somwhere on the wire to the Igniton switch. "The Club" seems to be a good Deterent. Of course none of these are foolproof so the best thing is to have good Insurance and maybe a Self destruc mechenism Hooked to a retina scanner in your sun visor.....

AKA "Fastbackpimp"
http://hometown.aol.com//dasbus73/Index.html
[color:blue]VMF Member Since Nov. 99</font color=blue>
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1590185&a=12106882&p=43855504.jpg

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
On my fastback I've got an electric fuel pump. So, what I did was to add a hidden momentary switch. After I turn the ignition on, I have to hit the switch for the fuel pump to engage. Granted, someone could still break in and get the car started. But with the amount of fuel in the carb, they would be luck to get to the end of the block before running out of gas.

I didn't really add a switch, I used an existing switch. I've removed all of the windshield washer equipment. So I wired in a relay to the washer portion. And of course a light on the dash, so I know when the pump is on. It's really embarrasing to take off and have the car suddenly die when it runs out of fuel.

Rob
Member: Slightly Modified
66 coupe 302
66 fastback 351W

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I'd hate to add a self destruct to the car. Whether the car gets stolen or blown-up, I'm still out my mustang. But instead how 'bout wiring in the seat to the coil, so the theif gets on heck of a jolt when the car start. *LOL*

Rob
Member: Slightly Modified
66 coupe 302
66 fastback 351W

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Since I hate locks, alarms, clubs, guns *G*, etc, I prefer a simple hidden kill switch for the ignition...

The way I set it up allows the car to crank and catch but then it dies....the casual criminal just thinks it's hard to start and doesn't look for a switch...I hope *G*

Usually, I never lock the doors and, in summer, leave the windows partially open....that says "there's nothing here that's really valuable"

Honestly, the best way I know to hang on to an old Pony is to not brag on it so much....once people know what you have and tell a friend....and a friend...well, you know how that goes...

If I had your fastback, I'd treat it the same way....worrying about dings and scratches and petty thieves takes all the fun out of living...

I have a saying..."The person who cares the least has the most control"....just don't let be the criminals...

That's my .02

Pat
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1570936&a=11937754&p=42910787.jpg

·
Vendor
5,283 Posts
I remove the coil wire, have a club and an alarm. Even with all this if someone really wants it, they'll get it. That's where insurance comes in.

Thanks

Shaun

·
Registered
407 Posts
Note to self: Camachinest has a hidden kill switch. LOL!

Seriously though, I agree with the control thing. I drive my '67 to school everyday. I teach at a middle school and even the kids that don't like me (read=all) don't mess with the car.

A few pretend or tell me they are and I just say OK and tell them it isn't any big deal. In two years I have had one person leave a key mark about 8 inches long and I am 99% sure it was during a basketball game with rival town so it wasn't anyone from here.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I mentioned this once before and its a great product. I don't know how it works on older cars but my friend has it in his '91 LX. Its called an 'Immobilizer'. I belive its made by a company called Quantom, Cliiford also makes one. It either operated by a chip or key depending on the brand. What it is,is a box you can put any where on you car and ALL the wires in you car run through it, problem for theives is that all the wires coming in and going out are one color. My freinds car has been stolen and recovered about 2 blocks from where he left it three times! The last time he found it in a mall parking lot with both doors open, the hood up, and every wire under the dash cut. It was a little messed up but he's still got his car.

68 fastback, 390 4V premium fuel
80 5.0 hatch, just finished
91 5.0 coupe, daily driver
84 RamCharger 4x4 extreme mudsliger and winter junker
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1570462&a=11937310&p=44317415.jpg

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I just find a prettier fastback to park my coupe next to!

Seriously, my theory is that there are two types of car thiefs out there: the joy rider and the professional. Simple deterents will typically stop the joyrider. In my case, I have a top secret kill switch that cuts the ignition. I also remove the rotor under particularly worrysome times, like parking for a couple days at the airport.

The professional, on the other hand, is going to steal your car no matter what. How are you going to stop someone from dragging your car up on a flatbed and hauling it off?

These are just my opinions, and not based on any facts. I reserve the right to change my opinion the moment my Stang gets stolen!

DanM
66 Coupe, check her out at http://www.66CoupeNW.stangnet.com

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The first thing I learned about stolen Mustangs is to make sure it propperly insured. Of course I learned this the hard way when I had a completely rebuilt, and heavily modded '66 coupe disapear from my driveway ... I had no theft coverage, never saw the car again, and was simply out all the time and money I put into it.

On my '66 I have an electric pump with a kill switch and use a club. On my '69 my daughter just uses a club, but I think the best bet is like my '65 ... it has no engine or tranny, no fenders, or interior ... really hard to steal that way /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

If you always do what you've always done,
You'll always get what you've always got

http://www.classic-mustang.net/johnpro

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Depending on the value of the vehicle a tracking device would be cool ... personally if I owned a Shelby my primary concern would be just getting the damn car back!

I think this is a good reason why ppl need to think twice before buying rare/expensive toys. If you can afford a Boss/Shelby I hope you can afford the proper security measures or have a desire to sit in the window seat staring down your car.

Myself, thats exactly why I went to a Mach, it has good investment value and yet is not something I'm scared to drive in the event of accident, theft or malfunction. Not to say that I'd like that to happen, but it really makes you think about the true value of your car. If your into shows and dragging thats one thing, but for many of us (at least me), my mach is a mode of transportation. I don't like most other cars, so I chose to spend the $20k on finishing off my mach to be enjoyable and safe, instead of buying some grocery getter.

I think the following measures are best for security:

1. Kill Switch
2. Alarm System
3. Club (Wheel or Pedals)
4. Tracking

In that order .. just my opinion tho :).

I wonder if there is a feasible way to have a "remote kill switch". You know, like the remote starters and stuff ... can you get products for the keychain that let you disable the vehicle? That'd make a funny picture watching the guy freak as the doors lock and the car stops dead with a nice loud alarm saying "I am a criminal, please arrest me!" :)

+--------------------+
1969 Mach 1 ( M-Code)
+--------------------+

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Yeah, tell a friend....hehehe

Oh, and there's one for the potassium nitrate and fuel oil too....just remember to tell them to hit the right one...

This car will self-destruct in 5 seconds

*G*

Yes, control and karma.....the energy out there is an interesting thing....

Pat
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1570936&a=11937754&p=42910787.jpg

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I've had a stang stolen and it sucks. Although it was a '92 LX, I really liked it, it was Strawberry with Black interior 5.0 with a 5 speed and 3.55 gears. The bad part is I was trying to sell my '66 coupe when they stole the LX, the keys to the coupe were in the glove box of the LX (Doofus, I know.) I had to break into the '66 (not hard) and change the locks. The LX had an alarm, but no kill switch. The guy on the other side of my apartment complex had his truck stolen the same night, but they found it a mile away (he had a fuel shut off switch.)

How do I avoid the problem today, I have an alarm, a club (to the brake pedal), an ignitionl kill switch, GOOD insurance, and an acceptance that a pro will get it anyway.

But, to make myself more comfortable I am working on a transmission selector lockout like the late models use, but with a hidden switch. I am also looking for a way to shut off the fuel to the mechanical pump.

The first part of this that I will ditch is the club, what a pain.

Jason
Formerly Bluestangcom
"Got gas?"
Vintage Burgundy'66 Conv. 289 & C4. GT-ized
Strawberry/Silver '91GT
Rust/Red/Turquoise '67 coupe - Parting Out
Guards Red 2000 Porsche Boxster

http://www.bluestang.com

G

·
0 Posts
These are alot of good ideas

As soon as I get my 66 Coupe out of the shop, I'm going to have to implement some of these!

http://members.home.net/tomtalford

66 Coupe:
302, AFR heads, Tremec 5 speed, Performer RPM, MSD Ignition, 9" w/ 3.70 gears, 4 wheel disc, subframe connectors, etc

G

·
0 Posts
I have a hidden kill switch, and a hidden fuel pump switch. I installed the fuel pump switch in a place where if I ever get car jacked, I can flip it off, and a block down the car will die, and they'll never figure it out!! hehehe suckers!!!

65 coupe 302
(rebuilding a 351W)

G

·
0 Posts
With a battery in the trunk set-up, a hidden kill switch, fuel shut-off, and a club, an empty holster and an empty box of .45ACP cartiages on the dash, you will have narrowed down the would-be thieves to very few takers.

G

·
0 Posts
I have an MSD 6a and installed a kill switch as per their instructions...dead easy to do and might fool thiefs...car will crank but never catch...

71redrag

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Actually, I park the Fastback any old place like anything else. I always figured it would be a bad thing to draw more attention by parking it WAY the hell by itself. If I'm going to be somewhere for a little while and won't see the car, I grab the coil wire in hopes that might stop the amateur. I like the leave it unlocked idea. I also like the hidden cutoff switch, but I don't run an electric fuel pump.... have to look into that one.

-bob

http://www.vintage-mustang.com/images/header.gif

1 - 20 of 29 Posts