Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay All, regular readers know I am building an apartment over my garage. But my place is way out in BFE and some things have disappeared, and someone was trying but failed to get into the garage. Looking for good security camera ideas. Something that photographs or records, so I can catch the miscreants. Mrs LSG says to look at 'ring', but I am open to ideas. LSG

·
Registered
1,051 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Also look at Wyze cams. Good night vision, good motion detection, better resolution than the Ring (we have both) AND not completely dependent upon the "cloud" -- which means, "Someone else's computer somewhere you have no control over". You can put a micro SD card in them to record video locally. We have a Ring Pro doorbell and two Wyze cameras, both mounted outside under eaves. So far so good, they work great and I plan to get a couple more.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Here’s the one I linked in my previous post. Can’t figure out how to edit the first post in Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
228 Posts
I was thinking of a system like this from Costco

8 UHD 4K Bullet Cameras with Color Night Vision™
Make sure you have a very specific plan of where and how to install everything and get all the cables run. I have a system with 8 cameras and a 1TB DVR... paid about $500 at Costco... still sitting in the box, because we never could figure out how to get cables run to where we want cameras, or how to get them all back to a DVR that we don't quite know where to put.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
IMO Wireless is the way to go. Plus a game camera or two as backup.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I installed a multi camera system from Costco for my sister-in-law. The cameras required a low voltage power feed, but video transmission back to the main recording hub was wireless. Beware that the rated range must be for super ideal conditions (like walkie talkies used to be). I think one camera was 300' away, but the signal only had to penetrate one wall and then it was line of sight.

I also bought a Wyse camera to monitor our son as he sleeps in case he has a seizure. Excellent night time quality and we have a 32g card in it to capture any activity. Much like the multi camera setup it requires a power feed. It does send a notification to my phone if motion is sensed and like a Ring I can use my phone to talk back through the camera as it has a speaker. I assume they have cameras for weather tight applications.

Good: signs and visible cameras is a good deterrent
Better: a big, loud dog
Best: nothing gets someone running like clambering a round in a pump shot-gun. That is an unmistakable sound... :O

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Wifi is pretty easily jammed if someone is serious about not being on camera. We maintain a 60 ch CCTV rig at the day gig for show control/monitoring. We’ve converted from Bosch to Hikvision cameras in the last few years. We’re using Myth TV migrating from Everfocus. Both overkill for home surveillance.

The benefit of the Hikvision is two fold. The resolution is higher than any of the consumer grade cameras and the Dark Fighter line has some of the best IR and light recovery sensitivity. Overwhelming cheap IR blasters with a bright light is a known tactic for blanking out the shot. The downside is cost. The start at a couple hun each and go from there. I think it’s worth it for low light situation particularly outdoors. They also make some lower end systems not too much more than the Costco system though not quite as many cameras in the kit. I’d use a couple of good cams in critical places outside. Put a small UPS on whatever system you use so the bad guys can’t shut it off by killing your power.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
I am using Arlo Pro cameras. Lot of nice features: good resolution, quick notifications of movement, recording of seconds before and after the movement.
ALSO, their application integrates with both their WiFi and their cellular Arlo Go cameras. So currently I have one application running 4 wifi cameras around my house and 2 cellular cameras in the woods to watch for deer and trespassers.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I have older Arlo cameras. There is a delay before they pick up movement. In my case they are good if someone or something spends some time in a location but a quick in and out wouldn’t be picked up. Case in point - a bird kept flying by a camera to make a nest and it took forever to figure out why the camera was sending notifications without anything recorded on the videos.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
I've used wireless cameras before and they will sometimes loose signal and just about any manner of things can cause interference. Additionally they require frequent battery changes that can get expensive.
I recently acquired a Wisenet 8 camera wired system that has it's own hard drive, as well as access through my moden to the 'net so I can have remote viewing. The camera have both IR and daytime capability. Sam's Club and others sell the system of around $450.

·
Registered
8,602 Posts

·
Registered
20,323 Posts
Our son recently gave us a early Xmas present, a Ring doorbell. Works pretty well, good wide field and good night vision

·
Registered
305 Posts
I like Arlo. Free 7-Day cloud storage and it records audio. It's easy to install and use. They're much better if you have power to the cameras instead of just using battery. Arlo is owned by Netgear and my one call to support went well. My main concern with the DVR systems is that they do you no good if the bad guy steals your DVR and you have no back-up.

Overall I'm happy with the Arlo. BUT it can be a little laggy if you want to see a camera live. Especially if several cameras are recording at the same time. You probably won't be able to answer your doorbell through it like a Ring. Your guest might be gone before you can respond. Also, recording is motion sensor activated, and it will stop recording if someone is standing still for too long. You can record 24/7 but that requires a monthly subscription per camera.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the following. I also live in BFE about 3/4 of a mile from the county maintained road and wanted something for a little added piece of mind. Not a top of the line system and we ahve noticed some lags and blank spots but it's all I have experience with.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts