Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what these parts are called? I've searched under numerous catalogues for "exterior trim" but can't find them anywhere. (If you can't see the photo, I'm referring to the trimming that runs along the side of my 66 front the front fender, along the door, and to the rear fender, finishing just above the 66 side ornament, or backwards E - it is in three pieces).

1966 289 Auto Coupe

·
Registered
896 Posts
Anyone know what these parts are called? I've searched under numerous catalogues for "exterior trim" but can't find them anywhere. (If you can't see the photo, I'm referring to the trimming that runs along the side of my 66 front the front fender, along the door, and to the rear fender, finishing just above the 66 side ornament, or backwards E - it is in three pieces).

1966 289 Auto Coupe

1966 289 Auto Coupe
door edge guard. not a factory part. that is most likely why it is not listed.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Yes, it is a "Body Side Molding", it is aftermarket, and a number of new car dealers back in the day pumped up their profits with a "Dealer Pack" that typically included such high profit items as pin striping, "Polyglycoat" paint protection, and the moldings. Consumers interested in avoiding door dings on their slab sided cars could go to automotive trim shops and have them installed for far less. Over time as more and more cars came from the factory with body side moldings and trim, the aftermarket seemed to dry up.

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
6,674 Posts
Ah body side mouldings and pin stripes, all the rage in the 80’s. I wish I had a dollar for every foot of that stuff I put on cars and trucks. Back in the day it did seem to suit a lot of vehicles. Not so much today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, at USD150 for the set, any advice on how to try to remove it and replace onto new front fenders before I order new ones (hopefully I won't have to).

1966 289 Auto Coupe

·
Registered
37,647 Posts
Well, at USD150 for the set, any advice on how to try to remove it and replace onto new front fenders before I order new ones (hopefully I won't have to).

1966 289 Auto Coupe
Pull the vinyl from the stainless channel. Chances are they drilled holes and riveted them in place. If so, drill the heads off the rivets to remove. If I was going to put on new fenders I think I'd use 3M trim tape instead of drilling any holes.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pull the vinyl from the stainless channel. Chances are they drilled holes and riveted them in place. If so, drill the heads off the rivets to remove. If I was going to put on new fenders I think I'd use 3M trim tape instead of drilling any holes.
Thanks, once I get the old fenders off, I should be able to see how it's attached from the back. Just need to remove a few more stubborn bolts, first.

1966 289 Auto Coupe

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I still have some of the same stuff on my '81 Cadillac (most has fallen off with age). Mine went on with a sticky backing. It came on a roll with stick-on ends to give it a finished look.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Ah body side mouldings and pin stripes, all the rage in the 80’s. I wish I had a dollar for every foot of that stuff I put on cars and trucks. Back in the day it did seem to suit a lot of vehicles. Not so much today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember the long racks of pinstripe rolls at the parts stores. Single, double, different widths of each different points for the ends 50 billion color combinations and then you had the curb feelers at the end of the row....

Oh and the proper name of that part is Fred. :)

·
Registered
961 Posts
The proper Ford basic part numbers and terms are:
1. Front fender - 16003/16004 - MOULDING - FRONT FENDER
2. Front door - 20938/20939 - MOULDING - DOOR - OUTSIDE
3. Rear door - 25532/25533 - MOULDING - REAR DOOR - OUTSIDE
4. Quarter panel - 29076/29077 - MOULDING - QUARTER - OUTSIDE

These were not applied from the factory on 1965/66 models. These would have been dealer or owner applied.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Ford did have a kit available, basic part number 21048. But there was no kit listed for the Mustang. See the attached example kit for a 1966 full size Ford (A)

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts