Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'd like to put some fully argent, no chrome Magnum 500s on my silver blue 2+2. Did Ford ever use such a wheel? Seems like I heard about them going on Torinos, etc. Were they available in 15", or just 14", and did they ever come without trim rings?

Thanks in advance for any input. Photos welcomed.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
ive only seen M500s come 1 way. never heard of a non boss 500 wheel. never seen them with trim rings. they do have center caps which i think came in 2 sizes.

sounds like what ever you saw someone had customized.

the 70 styled steel wheels were full argent (69 chrome) had had dog dish center caps. maybe those are what your thinking about

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Mid to late '70s Fords and AMC's used a wheel that looked like Magnum 500s, but used an outer trim ring. Here's a pair of the versions used by AMC:
AMC Wheels
From what I've seen, there isn't much interest in these wheels, meaning a junk yard or waiting to accumulate from e-bay may be the way to go if they are of interest.
I think they came in 14x6 and 14x7, but never spent much time on them.

Carl

P.S. - Check out this discussion:

AMC Discussion

Note that all the centers are painted, if they are of interest, you could powdercoat (much more durable than paint) the centers whatever color you wanted . Looks like there are also 15x7's, as well as versions with and without the trim rings.

·
Premium Member
13,179 Posts
standard wheel on the 1966 Shelby GT-350 was the 14" painted Magnum 500. Is that what you are asking about?

my car was delivered new with the 14" painted Magnum 500's. By the time I bought it, only one remained (the spare).

Z.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Specialty Wheels offer an boss 302 magnum with an argent powder coated center. They are very easy to work with, and I would not be surprised if they would powder coat the entire rim argent for you. Give them a call.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info Gents, it's very helpful. ZRAY jogged my memory that the 66 GT350 is where I had seen argent M500's on a Ford. Will look into all the options mentioned. Thanks again.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
In the mid 70s Ford made a wheel that looked like a 500 but was painted argent with a trim ring. 14x7 or 14x6. They used to be all over the place because they were the standard wheels on the mid 70s Cougar and they sold a LOT of those cars.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
those were also on the Granadas, they were similiar to a 500 kinda hybrid M500 and a style steel wheel. they are nice looking FWIW. i rememebr them well back in the day.

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
In the mid 70s Ford made a wheel that looked like a 500 but was painted argent with a trim ring. 14x7 or 14x6. They used to be all over the place because they were the standard wheels on the mid 70s Cougar and they sold a LOT of those cars.
That was what was on my 70 fastback when I bought it 12 years ago. Trim rings, Magnum look-alike, and someone painted the inside of spokes the black like the Magnum and then took the spokes to bare metal and polished/clear coated them. Didn't look too bad, but wasn't a fan of the trim rings.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Specialty Wheels offer an boss 302 magnum with an argent powder coated center. They are very easy to work with, and I would not be surprised if they would powder coat the entire rim argent for you. Give them a call.
I really like the looks of these wheels, chrome rim and all. I've abandoned the idea of 14" wheels because A) I'd probably have to restore any set I got and B) tire choices in 14" are too few.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts