Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 fb. restomod build. we are finishing up exhaust. installation. 289 w MAC long tube headers Mac H pipe to Borla turbo mufflers to MAC tailpipe. 2.5". You guys w custom exhaust how & where ae you mounting tailpipe hangers( non welded)?

We have H pipe hanger bolted to floor pan seat drop,

Suggestions and pictures if possible.

TY,
Gimpy

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
If you have the factory shipping tie-downs in the rear, I used the holes in those as a place to put a heavy grommet and a peg-style hanger that turns 90° and has a flat plate that bolts to the bottom of a stainless exhaust clamp, hangs my 2 and 1/2 inch tails between the fuel tank and leaf springs.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have the factory shipping tie-downs in the rear, I used the holes in those as a place to put a heavy grommet and a peg-style hanger that turns 90° and has a flat plate that bolts to the bottom of a stainless exhaust clamp, hangs my 2 and 1/2 inch tails between the fuel tank and leaf springs.

I have the holes.. I tried using the factory type L bracket w strap type hanger to U bolts. It's not clearing leaf springs. I'm trying to fabricate a spacer for factory bracket. I'm concerned it might rotate when used.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Do you recall what sz. grommet ? My disability prevents me from getting under there to measure.

Also where you got hanger & clamp?

TY,
Gimpy

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My problem solved. Using this method on tailpipes.

s://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC4qxUYl838&feature=youtu.be

Using things I had laying around & about $7 in parts. :)

Gimpy

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
I looked at that video and was surprised that they didn't use the floor reinforcement plates to hang the mufflers from. What they did can cause the floor to crack and the one bolt to strip out the threaded hole. The reinforcement plates are in reproduction as well as the bolt on hangers

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Do you recall what sz. grommet ? My disability prevents me from getting under there to measure.

Also where you got hanger & clamp?

TY,
Gimpy
Sorry I have been busy, actually bought and tailored home another 66 Coupe yesterday. I will try to get the measurement of the hole / grommet when I get off work, but I see you got yours hanging. Be careful, as stated above, you don't put stress in the wrong place under the car. You can drive it like you have it to an exhaust shop and have them fit that tie-down with a heavy duty exhaust hanger grommet. Probably dirt cheap. I tried several until I got a fit, don't know what size for sure. I got my hangers and clamps from a local Autozone and O'reilly's because they are next door to each other and each one had just one of two pieces I needed in stock.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I looked at that video and was surprised that they didn't use the floor reinforcement plates to hang the mufflers from. What they did can cause the floor to crack and the one bolt to strip out the threaded hole. The reinforcement plates are in reproduction as well as the bolt on hangers
^^^This. You MUST have the dual exhaust reinforcement plates to hang any exhaust off of the sheet metal under the rear seat...even without any exhaust hanging there, this area is prone to rot...its a weak point. You might be able to drop a hangar from where the brake and fuel line bolt up into the trans tunnel under the rear seat though...but I would just buy the reinforcement plates and weld them in(In fact, I already did buy them and will be welding them in this weekend)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts