Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Sell vs trade 65 GT a code vs. 68 GT/CS?

2K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  fordguy 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all- been a while since I've been on here, now it's getting cold and dismal here in the NW and time for changes. I have a nice driver '65 coupe, a real GT with A code 289, auto and P/S and factory A/C. Put about 9k miles on it since total mechanical rebuild, and last year stripped it down to bare metal and repainted in original Springtime yellow with black vinyl top. She's pretty, sounds mean (not stock) and ready to go. It's honestly been tough trying to get anyone to bite at what I think (and I've been told by fellow Mustang folks who know their stuff) is a fair asking price of $20k for her. What gives? Is the market disappearing on us? I think if it was a late 70's Trans Am, clean IROC Z or Grand National, or even a unmolested Fox body GT I would have more real interest? Someone also told me the market is garbage for anything automatic, and only stick shifts are bringing the dollars. What are you all seeing out there?
So... Just to make it all more painful, a local guy recently offered me his basically clean, original and one family owner '68 California Special in part trade, which is interesting. However, my main reason for selling my car is for the $$$, not to have another car. It's also an auto trans, but has zero options and needs some rust and paint work. If I can wrangle enough cash plus the '68 GT/CS to make a total sale of around $25k, I'd be happy but dammit, why is it so hard to sell a clean, badass, well-optioned '65 GT coupe these days?

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I also think $20,000 for a 6 cylinder coupe is high , Convertible and Fastback are getting top dollar

#8 ·
Coupe, yellow, vinyl top & automatic. Maybe not optimal, but if everything is well documented it seems like you should get that for a real GT. They love Mustangs in that area too. Maybe you need to advertise to a wider audience. If you can give me a 50% VMF discount and another $1K discount for being a fellow beer man I might be interested.

Good luck with your sale.

-Steven

#10 ·
Hey, neighbor. I live in your neighborhood (Maple Leaf), and have seen your car many times during my walks (saw it in your garage just last night). That's a great looking car - I have always loved springtime yellow. Not sure why you aren't getting more interest. How are you marketing it? I have had the best luck selling cars on local Craigslist and AutoTrader Classic. Now that the good driving weather seems to be behind us you may have to drop your price or wait until spring rolls around.

Is that your bada$$ wagon parked around the corner?

MrFreeze

#11 ·
Could have something to do with the time of year as well... Most people in your neck of the woods are putting away their classic Mustangs about this time of year. In April or May, you may have a bit more luck.

I will agree regarding the relative craze people have for fastbacks... honestly, I just don't get it. When I think of a first gen Mustang, I think of a coupe (well, unless we're talking Shelby- then I'm thinking Wimbledon White with blue stripes on a fastback).

#12 ·
Location and marketing. Maybe you need wider advertising or better pictures. $20K should be more than fine comparably to move it. Maybe let it sit at a consignment place over the winter @$25K. Spend $100 for an ebay listing to start bidding. Or if it details immaculately at the next auction that rolls through town.
The color lends itself to being an automatic.

#14 ·
Hey neighbor! I agree with your insight. And yes, the '72 Chevelle station wagon is indeed mine. Next time you're out, if my shop door is open, stop in!
OK - now we're all going to need to see pictures.

John

#16 ·
Price seems super fair... And there are plenty of people who don't mind Springtime Yellow, otherwise I wouldn't be constantly seeing so many damn Springtime Yellow Fords at all the shows I go to...

So I think you're just marketing too local-ish.. Gotta cast a wide net. Put her on eBay and Autotrader Classics, with some SUPER good and informative and detail photography, and I think you'll get your $20K like falling off a log.

Many Mustang enthusiasts (me being one) certainly love the fastbacks, but also love ALL of the Mustang bodystyles, and don't necessarily want to pay the crazy premium for a GT fastback. Those types would be happy to have an extremely attractive coupe, and keep the extra money in the bank. I friggin' love 65-68 coupes. I get a bit more tepid for the coupes 1969-up.

#17 · (Edited)
I agree, photography is key. I see possibly nice cars advertised with maybe 5 poor grainy too-small photos. A couple dozen taken very carefully, well-lit, using the best camera you have access to. NOT your phone.

I'm not sure I see the attraction for the GT/CS over the GT, although I do like them. The A code GT is a great car. The GT/CS could have had any V8, most of the ones I have seen were C code 289s. There used to be an X code GT/CS around here, but I haven't seen it for a while.

#18 ·
Thanks for all the insight, I will cast a wider net with ads outside of the NW. And for the guys interested, here's my new beater wagon, bought in LA and drove up the west coast back in Feb. Ventura, CA car since new, 350/350 factory discs, A/C, and even a 12 bolt rear. Paid $6,500 for it. No plans but to drive my 4 year old boy to school in it and have the baddest "dad-ride" in the lot.

Attachments

#19 ·
20k for that car sounds like a bargain.

A-code, PS, AC is a pretty rare and desirable car. Most didnt have both AC and PS.

I agree that expanding your selling area is the best bet.

Your car is a good candidate for a AU or EU export sale.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.