Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me tell you, I think it has been 4 years since I posted in this forum. I am glad to see that it is still rolling and names like Midlife are still around.

I think it is time to sell. I have had old blue for seven years now and I think I have taken it as far as I am going to. Kids, job, other interests have taken my dedication to the hobby away. The constant drain on the finances to support this old car have become annoying. I think it is time to get out - well sort of.

Old Blue is a 65 convertible, 200 Cid, with a 4 speed dagenham - that's right, dagenham. I started listing all the new stuff and realized that it is probably too much to list. Basically, I have completed all the repairs, but the car needs paint and upholstery. I plan on putting in carpets and some interior appointments this Christmas to make the car a very nice driver and ready to sell. The car has some dings as you would expect from a garage kept car in a house with 2 kids. My tainted view is that there is more right than wrong - it is not show ready, but a very nice reliable driver. I saved this car from the crusher and I am proud of that.

The truth is, I found a 1989 GT convertible with 59,000 original miles. I am liking the idea of a modern "old" car as creature comforts like air conditioning are helpful here in Tampa Florida in the summer. The 5.0 would be nice to get into traffic and I think these cars are going to gain in collectability over the next 3 years - especially when they turn 20 years old. I will not nearly have to turn as many wrenches as I did on old blue.

So - thoughts? I am interested in hearing both sides. 7 years is a long time.

Ron.

PS - yes, I still have the 2000 Saleen Speedster.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Keep Da Old One. A friend of mine got an '05 GT vert when they first came out. Depreciation sucks. Old cars just seem to appreciate more every year. Can't say that for the new ones.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I think these cars are going to gain in collectability over the next 3 years - especially when they turn 20 years old.
I wouldn't hold my breath about that, unfortunately. We have an '84 GT350 Anniversary Special 5.0 liter/5 speed in very nice shape with 78,000 miles...can't hardly give the thing away!

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I wouldn't hold my breath about that, unfortunately. We have an '84 GT350 Anniversary Special 5.0 liter/5 speed in very nice shape with 78,000 miles...can't hardly give the thing away!
You could give it to me!!!

Joe

·
Registered
311 Posts
i'd say keep the old one but it kinda sounds like you've already made up your mind.
Since your not in a super hurry to sell it though, maybe you should list it around town at a higher price than you expect to get for it. you can always go down in price when somebody comes over to look at it, much harder to go up.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I think you'd miss the attention of driving a classic, everyone wants to see it. Foxbodys are everywhere.
That being said, Foxbodies are lots of fun. I have a '91 5.0 Coupe and the things a rocket :biggrin:. The '89/93 5.0's were the best engines for mods, good strong trannys and parts are plentiful. I agree with you that their value will increase especially one in good condition as many are thrashed because they're FUN to thrash.
Still, you'd miss your classic after a while :(

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
If your simply looking for investment forget about the fox body will it go up, maybe but not nearly what your other car will.

From the sounds of your post however your really not as interested in keeping the 65 for the life of me that hard to understand but its not me making that determination. If you think you will be more happy with a more creature comfort orinated car go for it. I owned a 89 5.0 vert for a few years that I purchased new it was a really nice ride but I found myself when I felt like going for a Sunday ride taking out my classic and letting the 89 sit. Hell I traded the dam thing in on a Mini-van when my first son was born I think and it only had 15k on it in 11 years.

Anyway, only you can make the choice ever thought about keeping both? now theres an option ::

Mark

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Sometimes the only way to appreciate what you have is to let it go. Then when you see one go by you can say, "yeah, I used to have one of those".

I wish I had a buck for every time I've heard that one at the car shows.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I had my dream Mustang in the mid 80s and sold it because I thought I wanted a 56 T-Bird. Nice car but big mistake. It took me years to find another fastback just like it but I finally did (see sig pic). Of course by then I was ready to over-pay and did so. Still, I am happier now and won't make that mistake again. Of course your experience may vary!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts