Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmmm, just had two jerks leave the house here after looking at my car for sale. I poted my 93 5.0 GT with 53K miles for sale. It is almost all stock and in really nice shape which is a rarity. only fault of it is there is slight acid rain on roof-hood-and hatch.
Anyways i am in a position where the car doesn't need to be sold although i wouldn't mind selling it for cash and then upgrading to another mustang.
I just had a father and son team drive here and point out every imperfection on my vehicle to me. I can't tell you how sickening and mad i got. I couldn't care less if the car was sold or not-it was just the point i felt like someone was picking apart every imperfection on my wife.
Anyone know what I mean??
Only good thing is I didn't let the idiots drive the car, he starting saying he was picky and started on my paint and thats when I got angry and told them to leave and go back where they came from and they had the nerve to pick out every thing wrong to me. I don't know what people expect and some can be real a++holes.
Just venting. Anyone else have this happen????

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I have had the same thing happen to me on the 62. I can't complain too much as I do the same thing when I am looking to buy, I may not point out every defect but I do make a mental note of them. My guess is they were setting you up for a low ball offer...

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
he starting saying he was picky and started on my paint and thats when I got angry and told them to leave and go back where they came from and they had the nerve to pick out every thing wrong to me.

Wheat and chaffe...

Interview your buyers before giving them access to the car. I do this over the phone generally...if they come across as unknowledgeable and/or rude over the phone, I know they're likely not going to understand the car's value. I just decline to show them the vehicle. I've gotten a lot of tire-kickers over the last few years with the race car

Don't hesitate to be picky about your buyers....unless this is a fire sale...in that case, call me...*G*

·
Registered
143 Posts
I agree, he was pointing out the problems trying to make you come down on price. A lot of guys like him out there. They try and make you feel guilty or stupid for asking such a price for your car. I think you did the right thing by sending them away. I have a guy coming to look at my car in the next couple of weeks, already dreading the whole process. But atleast I'm in the same position as you, don't have to sell if I don't want to.

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ray,
i too make a mental note of everything i can possibly see wrong when i look at a prosective vehice. what i don't do is pick out every error right in front of the seller..to try and make them feel stupied.
now that i think about it at least i didn't let the jerks drive the car.
Good thing is I'm in the situtation where the car doesn't have to go.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Ok, time to play devils advocate. You say the car is low miles and in 'really' nice shape. You just set your self up. If the car really only has the one or two faults you mentioned, what could these people possibly be picking out? A little paint chip here a small scratch there little bit of wear on the interior. Chances are you are asking top dollar for the car too. This makes people think they are coming to see a trailer queen. If they want the car and they can find something that might lower the price, they are going to jump on it. You are not selling the car to make friends, and they are not buying it from one. Everyone expresses themselves differently and you have to take what they say and how they say it with a grain of salt.
JH

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Sorry, but I agree with Johns72Mach. If the buyer is pointing things out in a factual way, he's just doing his job. Personally, I would prefer that he do it silently but he has every right to point out defects that, in his judgement, contradict how the car has been represented and priced. Keep in mind that, when the negotiating starts, everything he's noted is going to come out anyway as part of the negotiating. Unfortunately, that means you're going to hear someone else's opinion of the condition of your car and you need to prepare for that.

On the other hand, if he points out defects in a sarcastic or belligerent way, that's a different story. My response in that case would be to put up with his routine, wait for an offer and then make it clear that the price I set was firm. If he wants to pay full price, I'll sell him the car. The difference between full price and what I would otherwise have sold the car for becomes the price he pays for being a jerk. After all, it's a business transaction and you have to set personalities and emotions aside. Putting a price on the buyer's behavior is just another business decision.

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My rant is you don't go look at someones vehicle and be beligerant in pointing out defects or imperfections especially when they were told about two dings on the car and were sent pictures before they even showed up.

The prospective buyer wasn't afforded an oppurtunity to negotaite as they were told to leave.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Stubes, I see from you bio that you're a probation/parole officer. My guess is you'd develope a thick skin for people like that. On the other hand sometimes people just rub you the wong way and push your buttons. I'd be pissed if someone was belligerant about picking defects on my car. I understand them trying to get a better deal but I agree with you that one can be more diplomatic about picking out defects. I have purchased many a car from the paper and sometimes what's discribed and what I see are very different. I've found that being humble can often get me a better deal simply cause I was the nicest to the seller. Otherwise, I apologise for taking up the sellers time and that we couldn't work something out. I always give a smile. Fortunately for you, there's no hurry to sell. Hang in there and enjoy the weekend. Its a beautiful morning here and the weekends just started.
Regards,
Chris

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
There's a huge difference between nit picking every little defect and constructive buyer/seller analysis. Putting a seller's car down in front of him does not seem to be an effective way to arrive at a friendly deal. Dickson

G

·
0 Posts
Oh brother can I relate! I've been trying to sell my '86 SVO for a year, everyone wants to drive & pick it to pieces. Same with the car you see posted. I just show them the car, tell them the price, & if they show me money, I'll take them for a ride. I don't haggle prices either. If they do something silly, I go in the house & leave them guessing. When they come to the door & tell them I'm not interested in any books, GO AWAY! Good think I don't care if I ever sell another car, doesn't cost much to keep them.

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
chris,
thanks for the words of encouragement makes me fell better, i do have a thick skin so to speak from the job, but sometimes people can just push the wrong buttons and hit home.
honestly, that jerk ruined my sat morning,but i am not going to let it get the best of me.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I get this a lot! After the rant I usually say that if this or that were 100% the price would be
XXX.XX dollars more! I always allow a little play for negotiation and usually take offers. I get more upset when they do not even haggle, they just walk off!
Bruce (TX)

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Go online to the price guide sites. NADA, KBB and whatever the other one is. Price your car based on that. Be honest to your car. Then simply says. Yes, thats why i rated it good and not excelent because it has minor paint problems. Pretty much just say your defering to the experts. and if they complain that the information is wrong give the email address of NADA.

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
problem with the price guides is this, at least here in sw pa, you can't touch a decent 5.0 at book price.
My cars book price is close to what people are selling 87-88 5.0's with over 100K miles.
My car has 53K original miles the more desirable black interior and overall it is in pretty excellent shape. Not a speck of rust and not abused. Also it is almost all stock which for a 87-93 fox body 5.0 is beginning to be a rarity.
I want to sell the car for a 96 mustang mystic cobra. NADA and Kelly guide on a 96 Cobra is 14K....believe me if i could find a mystic cobra for that amount i would snatch it. Same goes for a 93 Cobra i would like--they book around 12-13K high----can't touch one close to that. It just seems like the late model stuff sells for over book.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts