Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a fair way to evaluate and sell your left over parts? ebay listings?

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
ebay is full of shill bidders and thieves.

Yeah I know its a strong opinion...but the nature of the interface makes it hard to gauge value at a micro level to know where to price individual parts at...I only ever look to it for a macro level commentary on where prices are going....like the whole market is depressed for cars right now and ebay is fulled of all the same cars that are listed month after month with unknown reserve prices and never sell and just keep coming back.

If they are new parts that were never used...I usually sell for 75% of acquisition to forum members. If they are used parts I take well below half of what it would have been new. Some stuff though...like my old drum brakes for example...I posted them for free for months before giving up and just tossing them in the trash.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Start by looking at what same stuff sells for on-line, then gauge your price accordingly. If you want to sell it fast, ask for less. My strategy is price stuff low and let the market decide. I've posted stuff on e-bay that people go into a feeding frenzy for and I get 3X what I thought; other times not. You never know how much someone wants your item. Then again, sometimes I just give stuff away to club members and friends because it makes me happy to see someone light up when they get a part they've needed. Good luck.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn't mind giving some things away but, I would like a little cash to recoup on some of the build costs. Like my front bucket seats for instance, they were recovered prior to me buying the car and Im not using them. And I have new black covers that came in an upholstery kit I bought. I think they should be worth something.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I wouldn't mind giving some things away but, I would like a little cash to recoup on some of the build costs. Like my front bucket seats for instance, they were recovered prior to me buying the car and Im not using them. And I have new black covers that came in an upholstery kit I bought. I think they should be worth something.
I bought a set of covers for my buckets off of here from a guy for $60 which I thought was real fair.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Put them on ebay with no reserve and a starting bid of $9.99. Don't screw them on the shipping.

That's what I do. You will be surprised what some stuff sells for.

IMO this method attracts the max number of buyers.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Used parts

I am getting ready to sell a bunch of new and used parts off my '65 coupe rebuild. I am going to take all of it to the Portland Swap Meet in a couple of weeks and sell there. I like the members idea above with the 75% on new and 50% on used depending on the parts. Naturally, if they are "collectible" parts they may have a better market. I also have fun selling parts at swap meets because of the opportunity to swap stories and also to set prices based on what I perceive are a persons ability to pay.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Put them on ebay with no reserve and a starting bid of $9.99. Don't screw them on the shipping.

That's what I do. You will be surprised what some stuff sells for.

IMO this method attracts the max number of buyers.
+1, if your not comfortable at such a low starting bid, start the bid at the very low end of what you'll take and watch it bid up! This method has mostly served me well. I sold my original shaker setup, which turned out was a mutt (mixed pieces), for $1500 back in 07. The buyer was thrilled ( I media blasted it entirely and took LOTS of pictures) and the money helped in the rebuild. Sell the stuff and move on I say.

·
Registered
236 Posts
with the aftermarket, are used stock front suspension parts worth anything or should I just scrap them?
Depends on what you got. I was trying to give stuff away then a moderator, not on this board, gave be a rash of $hit so I stopped and took just about everything to the scrap yard.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I will do the 75%/50% idea. I'm not real interested in shipping items. I just dont have time for it. I have a local shop that deals with alot of mustangs. I think I will have luck getting some money back on the stuff I have. I just wanted to be fair on pricing. thanks for the direction guys.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Depends on what you got. I was trying to give stuff away then a moderator, not on this board, gave be a rash of $hit so I stopped and took just about everything to the scrap yard.
Everything really... Upper/lower control arms, sway bar, spindles, pitman arm, etc. All the bushings are shot but could be replaced. Just don't know if I could even give that stuff away with the potency of the aftermarket.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
There are plenty of people looking for rebuildable oem parts, rather than buying aftermarket. Advertise them with casting and date codes.

Don't scrap them just yet.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
scstang67, what parts do you have to get rid of? and are they all for 67's ?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have 2 front buckets, old bumpers, flat hood, old inner sail panels(need new vents or rechromed again), blue door panels, hood hinges, seat belts, and asst other items. I live in Memphis and not sure when I would have time to do anything with them. So, I thought I would let my buddy's local shop sell them off or anyone was coming thru could pick em up. All the stuff is at my dad's shop until I finish up the car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts