Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used SEM products in the past and know they are of good quality and more durable than Kryon (in my experience), but now I am running up against a wall on something. I have the Landau Black Color Coat for my vinyl pieces, but I could have sworn they also make Landau Black PAINT in rattle cans that I could use for the metal on the doors and dash. The paint shop said they don't have any of that and the website doesn't show it either.

So that leaves my dash/door options to this:
1) SEM 3914 Trim Black
2) SEM 3810 Rust Shield Black (as opposed to Gloss Black or Flat Black - they make all 3 shades)

Anyone have any thoughts/experience as to which would be a better choice for interior metal parts in terms of finish? Also, what SEM primer have you had success with?

Thanks

·
Registered
246 Posts
They do make Landau Black in cans...I just bought some. SEM part number from their site 15013.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Right on! Have a Sems color chart right in front of me and that color and # are shown. Re Krylon 1613: It the surface is lightly scuff and a primer is used, such as Sems Self-Etch gray, the Krylon will last a long time in an interior. The nice part is that it is easy to touch up if scratched.

Not sure how glossy the vinyl paint that you have is, but the Landau Black on the chart I have, is glossier than orig. Their satin black # 15243 is closer.

Give the co. a call. They are in Charlotte, NC. 800-831-1122

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the Landau Black 15013 rattle cans, but it's the Color Coat. The instructions on Color Coat say it's for flexible materials such as vinyl, carpet and plastics, not metal - although maybe it can be used for that??

UPDATE: I called SEM, and the guy there was not exactly helpful. When I told him what I was doing, he said..oh, you can use color coat on whatever. When I mentioned what it said on the can he said, that's OK - it will work on other stuff. Still not 100% convinced, I went ahead and asked about a primer he recommended for use on bare metal with Color Coat. He said High Build Surfacer, when asked about its ability to seal the metal - his response "there's no such thing as a primer that seals". Now I'm no paint expert, but this is contrary to everything I've ever heard about bare metal and primers. Needless to say, he did not help in the decision making process.

·
Registered
246 Posts
That's BS on the sealer. I use some PPG DP90LF Epoxy Primer and just reduce it and mist it on with my detail gun (1.0mm tip). It will not fill in the grain very much at all (doors) and it lays down well when reduced. Then you have a nice black base to spray any type of topcoat such as the SEM. PPG tech sheets have the reduction ratio to shoot it as a sealer and when you do it like that it's almost as thin as laquer primer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts