Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
VDO. Thanks, Z.

(Idiot light is the stock Ford idiot light on a 65. This would go in a Shelby gauge pod with a tach.)

·
Premium Member
13,182 Posts
Is there any documentation with the gauge that ID's the ohm range of the sending unit needed?

here is the contact info for VDO inquires. I'm sure if you supply them with the part numbers they can tell you if the gauge use have will work with that sending unit.

VDO - Contact us

Z.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,658 Posts
There's not enough info at Summit's site to tell for sure. They list it as having a "90 degree sweep" which is entirely inapplicable.
I can say it looks very much like the OEM VDo sender used on some Audis and VW's (like mine) that indeed does send to a gauge and a light. It isn't one of those because (A), it's not metric thread, and (B) it doesn't cost $65 like all the rest of the VW sender replacements. Ask me how I know that. I'm sure there's more info on this particular sender out there somewhere. It would be neat solution.
To accomplish the same thing on my car I'm using this dual tapped sender extension from a 1990's F350 460 engined truck. A single sender would be less cluttered looking.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Gypsy, I think it was you, while searching, I came across some of your older posts mentioning tapping an extension, or finding a rare one with two openings. Concerning 90 degrees, I think that makes sense if you look at the gauge I want to use (matches the tach I really like)... What do you think? Thanks for the help, both of you. Cosmetically, I would prefer the "clock" style sweep gauge VDO does, but that is mechanical and not electrical.

Side note, here is the tach I want. I like it because it is very understated and is 7k. 8k always seems like a waste of sweep for my mild 302. :)

·
Premium Member
13,182 Posts
".............. Cosmetically, I would prefer the "clock" style sweep gauge VDO does, but that is mechanical and not electrical........"
there are full sweep electrical gauges, but they are generally much more costly than the short sweep ele. gauges.

this is from thesummit product description: "..Pressure Sender 0-80 Psi 1/8"-27 NPT 7.0 Psi Warning Contact.

so one of the contacts is for an 0-80 psi gauge and the other one will light up a warning light when the presssure falls under 7.0 psi

generally speaking, a light will get your attention before a gauge will, but you have to be shutting the engin down immediately after the light comes on or suffer the consequences.

Z.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How did I miss that!?!? Thanks Z. Wow, this seems to be exactly what I need....

·
Just some guy
20,658 Posts
That's the info I was looking for too and didn't see. Sounds like a go. Using VDO gauges Lunar should be good to go. Now I wonder how the ohm readings compare to Ford and Autometer's senders? Hmm.
Wish I had known about these before, with a two dollar metric to NPT adapter I could have saved like forty bucks.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wish I could have helped earlier there, Gypsy. :)

I'm pumped. The ONLY downside to my wanting of the Shelby Gauge pod is that my dash pad is original and PERFECT. Not wanting to poke holes in it.... Ugh... decisions, decisions... If I were rich, I would pick up a replacement and store my original. Was thinking about maybe using double sided tape to hold the pod on, and maybe just cut a hole in the back of the pod, run the wires exposed (maybe in some black conduit or something) and then down into the speaker grill.....

·
Just some guy
20,658 Posts
No worries, that actually was months past. I might just add one of those senders into my next Summit order and check it out. Now that I know about them.
I don't envy you trying to balance wanting a gauge pod versus keeping a pristine dash. I'd feel a bit iffy about double sided tape even.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts