Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Under ideal (yet realistic logistically and financially) circumstances, what Mustang would you build? What year? What body style? Would you build a restomod, a clone or return a car to concourse correctness? Lastly, would you be willing to invest more in the car to get it the way you want it than it could ever possibly be worth?

<edit> I suppose I should contribute to my own poll huh? So here goes: I love my convertible...but it's one of those cars that is best left alone for the most part. So it's future stablemate will most likely be the following: a '69 sportroof meticulously built to be a borderline street car/race car. A full on trans-am style rig with big wheels and brakes stuffed into the wheel wells and held up by all the best stuff Total Control builds. A nasty 347 stroker with a six speed tranny. The car would have to have all the best period correct pieces of the day though.....shaker hood, side scoops, etc. to keep the look of the original. Did I mention a concourse type interior but with drastically improved seats upholstered to look stock and a tastefully upholstered roll cage? (can you say open track) Lastly, a killer sound system that you can not see, but can definitely hear when the time is right. Yup....I figure about $40K to build it right....in my mind, it money better spent than on a bloated SUV or something else that depreciates (and depresses me) daily. OK, I'm done for now.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
I would build a 408 stroker 65/66 gt350 clone, black with gold stripes......hmmm...come to think of it....I'm already working on that project

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
66 K-code GT convertible. I'd restore it to concourse correctness. Emberglow paint with emberglow/parchment pony interior. 4-speed, rally pac, console. I wouldn't pay too much attention to how much the resto is costing me Vs. worth of the car. To me, the value would be in the journey of the restoration. Now, if I could just find that basketcase vert to get started on ...

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I'd build a 65/66 'vert - Shelby Clone looks from the outside, but a Mustang II front with a blown 4.6 DOHC and 6-speed. Blue with white stripes. 17" rubber. - I'd let SWMBO have the FB to drive then..... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Second choice would be a 70 Boss 302/347 for open track playtime. All race car, to h&%% with street manners! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Something just plain wicked & nasty, that scares children & pets! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

And yes, to build ANY car the way I want it, I ALWAYS end up with more invested than it's worth!!! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Honestly, it would probably end up being a 1970 Mustang with a 351C warmed over to around 450 horses, 4 speed, disc front/drum rear, 9" traction lock, and an understated appearance... oh wait... you mean in ADDITION to what I am doing now!?

G

·
0 Posts
68 coupe/space frame chassis/idependant rear/aluminum block 427FE set back in the chassis to just behind the front axle centerline/six speed box

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I think i would do a 65 shelby to concours

on 2nd though the 69 boss 429's were awesome.

3rd of all i think i would do a mustang wagon conversion. Thats just kewl. And you can go to the grocery store in it too!

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Well I sort of hate to admit it but, I've pretty much already done that with my 65. My original theme was just to do a clone, but that evolvled to much more. Quickly I found there were getting to be more and more straight clones so I wanted to do something alittle differnt. Theme than became I want the look of 65 model with a few added things, with the motor and drive train as up to date as possible.

As far as money goes, I certainly know I could never get out of car what I'm in it and wouldn't expect to but just wanted to do it my way. My hope is to pass on interest in cars to sons and if this helps its money well spent.

Mark

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
How can the circumstances be both ideal AND realistic?

I'd have two:

1966 GT-350H (love those rent-a-racers), and a 1973 Mach I convertible. The latter is what I wanted as a little kid, not knowing that there was no such beastie. Both stock (with the obvious exception of the vert's top).

Steve

·
Registered
501 Posts
67 Fastback, Shelby "Clone", would not destroy a REAL Shelby. Restomod all the way, 5.0 with all the comforts and computer tech's of today's Mustang's. Investment vs Value have never thought about it and could never achieve it. My coupe has near 10k and I would never think of asking more than 7k. Never could make it as a used car salesman /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Administrator
19,503 Posts
Let's see, a highly modified 1968 fastback sounds about right. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Oh wait, you said unlimited resources! Okay, a 1968 GT-500KR convertible restored to concours standards and with extra financial resources to fix up anything that might get damaged while taking the car for a little spin across country.

G

·
0 Posts
1967 Fastback, plain steel wheels, big rubber, straight, good paint (black), 4-speed, largest, baddest engine I can shoe-horn in (preferably built by Holman & Moody), nitrous, headers, side pipes, suspension/handling package, subframe connectors, big rear end (traction lock), tinted glass, recaro seat, racing harnass (so they'll find the body), great stereo (ac/dc is best in a car like this at ear-bleed volume).
High octane fuel, good lawyer.

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
It would have to be a 67 or 68 fastback restomod at least a 390 warmed over, dark metalic blue. That's my first choice. My second choice will become a reality when I'm ready. My dad has left me his 68 GT vert in his will. It is the very first car I ever drove on March 9, 1974. I'll never forget that day. Last summer he said I could come and get it whenever I was ready. He said he did not drive it much and his wife won't ride in it because he scares the heck out of her. (LOL, it brings out the kid in him.) It's very clean, not a spot of rust. It was wrecked once, but repaired fairly well. I think a concourse resto would be in order because it's a true GT.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I would do everything I have done already. Take a basic 67 coupe, put in a reliable small block, a manual transmisson (5 or 6 speed,) and make it a sleeper. Nothing too crazy. (I'm sure other posters before me and after me would go Bananas.) More money has already been put into this than it would ever be worth. Dreams always cost more to fulfill than you think, right?

Oh, yeah..., maybe I'd do this to a convertible next time!

G

·
0 Posts
1967 Shelby GT500 or 390 GT fastback w/4 speed & air. I'd have to be at that point in time on the speding question. Maybe, maybe not.

·
Registered
463 Posts
65 Fastback.
Twin Turbo 4.6 DOHC and T56 6 speed
8 Point Rollcage (swing out sidearms of course)
4 wheel disc brakes
Everything Griggs racing has in the suspension catalog.

Well, the entire griggs setup is roughly 15,000, and then there's the 4,000 dollar motor, 5, 000 dollar twin turbo kit, 1,000 for the rollcage setup, I didn't even start with interior...

-M

·
Registered
532 Posts
Well, for me it would be a 1970 Boss 302. Stock looking, but a driver. Maby stroke the 302 up a bit. Something nice, but a little nasty. No ac, no toys, just beef.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I thought that was what we were all doing!! That's what I'm doing. Good grief what a money pit!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
795 Posts
*It would have to be a SERIOUSLY RestoMod 65 Vert.
*427 side oiler - with 2x4 carbs - with all the internal goodies /forums/images/icons/smile.gif by Holman Moody - their shop is only 10 min. from my house
*Shelby style side exit exhaust
*6 Spd Richmond
*9" Rear with a 3.55:1 Detroit
*Mustang II Front
*21 Century Suspension and Brake upgrades /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
*The biggest tires man can fit under the car without cutting the car up
*Torque Thrust ll Chrome wheels
*Tube Frame - for rigidity
*Stock 66 Deluxe interior - with an AM radio and an 8 Track (LOL) Really - I'd have all the best here with CD changer etc...
*AC - I live in the south where this is a standard option on all vehicles
*6 point roll bar
*Shelby style belts
*etc., etc.,

1 - 20 of 55 Posts