Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Mustang, Convertible, 289, T5
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so a few years ago i bought a borgeson power steering conversion with a Saginaw style pump to put in my 65' vert. Install went fine, no leaks or anything. However from the very beginning the steering felt touchy and very sensitive. The kit gives a lot of assist which is great in a parking lot but leaves you feeling very out of control at highway speeds. I have just dealt with it for the last few years but now its bugging me because i want to upgrade my suspension and i want to feel in control so its either fix this or go to rack and pinon winch is very pricey. Anyways i bought the pressure reducer kit from borgeson and pulled the valve out and was stumped because the kit says that the bolt you remove to put the shims on is a 7/16 but none of my 7/16 wrenches will fit on it. nor my 1/2 or any other wrench metric or SAE. so i used a adjustable open end wrench and tried but only ended up spinning the valve in the sleeve in the vice and striping the bolt. i cant figure out a way to get the bolt off to put on the shims. Why would the bolt be an unknown size? Could it have expanded due to heat??? but i decided i probably have to buy a new one so i found this Saginaw P Series Pressure Reducing Valve - 800 PSI
however i also have another question so turn one steering has this article Debunking the Shim Kit Theory where they say that the shim kits are bad and i need a flow reducer. Does anyone support or have insight on this? also which restrictor do i buy, they have several and none of them say Saginaw Power Steering Fittings any help would be appreciated. i really want to keep my borgeson unit but i want to have more control and better road feel, im also on a budget.

·
Registered
225 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts