Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exactly is necessary for sequential turn signals (ala Cougar/Thunderbird)?

I'm not interested in the lenses or housings; but the wiring and necessary electrical componants. Are they being reproduced or do they have to be scavenged?

·
Registered
124 Posts
There's a "black box" in Cougars/Tbirds that had a sequential motor for the turn signals. There's an electronic replacemnt for the sequential motor available thru most, if not all, vintage Tbird dealers. You'll still have to figure out the wiring though.
Read somewhere that stanger once cut out the Mustang tail light assembly and put in a 65 Tbird tail light assembly. Looked cool. I've seen a late model Mustang that had sequential flashers so there must be an aftermarket kit out there.

Here's a link to get you started...

http://www.thuntek.net/cougars_unlimited/tbseqts.htm

Good luck

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
There is a 1 inch thick black plastic box on the left trunk floor drop off on the 69 and 70 cougars that contain the electronic sequential blinker assembily. There is a aftermarket one available. The older cougars and T birds had motor driven ones. one way to get the goods is to go to pick n pull and shop for a T bird or cougar of the 69 to 70 model and see if the box has not been swiped. Get the black box and the wiring harness. Unsnap the sockets with wiring from the tail lights. Some of the later models may have similar setups. There is also a special flasher can for these cars, it is a 429. Others may work but may be too fast or too slow. The 429 is not available and is always painted red. I look at all 69 and 70 sequential cars for this red flasher can. (and never find any) Compare the wiring diaghram of a 69 or 70 cougar and see how to splice in the sequential unit to your car. I have not bothered to do this yet but that is how I will eventually do it. John

·
Registered
792 Posts
Check Tony Branda. They have the boxes for about $90. If you want a set of taillights I have a set that I am not going to use. They are complete with the bucket.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
There was a guy at the Mustangs Plus show a couple months ago that engineered his own sequential turn signals in his '69 Mach I. It is a VERY trick setup and the bulbs are LEDs instead of bulbs making them very bright, whithout melting the plastic lenses. He used the stock tail lights.

This system that he's getting ready to market is not only sequential signals, but programmable sequential flashers (meaning you can do all kinds of KEWL things with the flashers).

The guy felt the best market for this would be the '65/'66's, so that's what he's marketting first, and then will follow up with the '69s and then '70s (or maybe they'll use the same as each other). They are suppossed to hit the market in September and will be a plug and play solution.

I don't know what the price is going to be yet, but I'll keep the VMF posted when they become available.

G

·
0 Posts
On my Shelby their called dynomite sticks any parts house has them. No motors etc. at all.---Good luck.--- Follow dir. --Frank.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
The early T-Birds were the motor type and had 2 circuits. It was a bear to install. The 69+ unit was electronic and fits right in. If you wire it directly to the lights through a relay in the trunk, you get a brighter light, especially if you mount the battery in the trunk. The relay gets more juice to the unit, as it doesn't have as far to travel through the entire circuit. I get $50 for them. I guess I ought to raise my prices to compete- NAW! I like being cheaper!

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Yeap I went with Dynomite sticks for my shelby tail light setup

I know where an original cougar sequential tail light box is though

let me know

1 - 8 of 8 Posts