Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was pretty happy with my factory-ish power steering setup at the beginning of the year. has the year has gone on it has begun to tick me off. Sure it puked a little at the local 35 - 40 second autocross events. No big deal. Then I went to Grissom for a minute plus autocross on concrete and started losing PS on the second of 2 opposing turns at speed. Today at another short 37.8 second charity autocross that several people were driving my car the PS puked its guts out soo badly that even after mopping up the red stuff the best I could before leaving the event I had to pull over on the way home to clean the windshield of the red menace that had apparently hidden in the hood bracing and let go at highway speeds. Once warmed up today I had no power steering below 2K which is fine but I'm going back to Grissom next Sunday and will be parked with the current amount of pukage.

So will a transmission cooler installed in the return line get this under control? EPAS is in my future for sure!

·
Registered
37,687 Posts
What are you running for power steering fluid? Wondering if your issue is more from aeration of fluid than expansion (due to heat).

If you DO decide to add a cooler it would be my recommendation to get one with AN fittings and not hose barbs. I'd want to have proper hoses made and have it installed securely so it won't vibrate. I've seen some installed vertically behind the core support on the driver's side.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm running NAPA type F with the smaller 1985 F150 pulley. The PS pump tends to howl when the temps are below 60º but has been great otherwise.

·
Registered
37,687 Posts
I'm running NAPA type F with the smaller 1985 F150 pulley. The PS pump tends to howl when the temps are below 60º but has been great otherwise.
I might also recommend trying a fluid change with some BG Power Steering Conditioner. Have never used the NAPA brand fluid but their stuff is usually a re-labeled major brand. You could always try Motorcraft Type F....

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I might also recommend trying a fluid change with some BG Power Steering Conditioner. Have never used the NAPA brand fluid but their stuff is usually a re-labeled major brand. You could always try Motorcraft Type F....
Everything was rebuilt by Dan and is perfectly acceptable for street use but not the track. I agree the Type F has probably had it with the abuse it has taken. I'll rig a smallish trans cooler and change the fluid this week and hope for the best!

And yes, 2nd66 I must have PS because after a year and a half of PT I have only been able to lift my hands above my head for the last month. So zip it!

Reactions: rpm

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
A high temp fluid that doesn't expand so much?:shrug: At least the testing should be fun.
You tried running it half full?
Sneak a diaper around the pump after tech0:)
I would wonder if its all due to heat expansion and not the high pressure built by spinning the pump AND working the valves so violently.

Might also look into a large capacity remote reservoir and only fill it 1/2 way. A cooler that is the reservoir would seem ideal.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A high temp fluid that doesn't expand so much?:shrug: At least the testing should be fun.
Might also look into a large capacity remote reservoir and only fill it 1/2 way. A cooler that is the reservoir would seem ideal.
I looked into a cylindrical aluminum cooler that had some capacity on Amazon but the recent reviews were horrid. I want to mount something horizontally between the strut rod towers just aft of the radiator but am concerned about track debris. I'm just trying to Finish the season without spending much. EPAS this winter.

·
Spammer Hammer
10,813 Posts
My power steering cooler...I removed the power steering. I only installed it for my wife anyway. Then she chose not to drive the car.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
How about if your radiator has the cooling circuit that is meant for an auto trans-BOOM!

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
I've seen some installed vertically behind the core support on the driver's side.
That's where they were installed from the factory on the 69 and 70 Super Cobra Jet Mustangs. You can buy reproductions of that PS cooler, but they're pretty pricey.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/oil-cooler-assy-power-steering-exact-repro-read/180447?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fpage%3D2%26search_terms%3Dcooler%252Bpower%252Bsteering%26top_parent%3D200001%26year%3D1970&year=1970

A friend of mine lifted a PS cooler from a 1971 Mach with A/C. The cooling unit bolts to the A/C pump. I was wondering if I could adapt one of those to work behind the core support on the driver's side; like the 69/70 SCJ. My '70 Mach 1 even has a divot for the bolt hole.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's where they were installed from the factory on the 69 and 70 Super Cobra Jet Mustangs. You can buy reproductions of that PS cooler, but they're pretty pricey.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/oil-cooler-assy-power-steering-exact-repro-read/180447?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fpage%3D2%26search_terms%3Dcooler%252Bpower%252Bsteering%26top_parent%3D200001%26year%3D1970&year=1970
Thats pretty pricy for sure! I'm waffling on doing anything. I'm not blowing money on AN fittings for a cooler when the original return line only a barb fitting, but I don't want to lose a cooler line on the track and the humiliation that goes with it. It's only got to last maybe 4 events before I ditch it.

I've got 2 non event weekends after this Sunday, maybe I should just order the EPAS and tilt column now.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If my cut up knuckles remember correctly my 75 F100 had a factory version of something like this attached directly to the back of the power steering pump.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NDP...Oil+Cooler&keywordInput=power+steering+cooler

For $25 it might be an easier thing to try than tracking down those Prius EPAS parts.
Thanks for the reply and the link. I'll eventually spring for the EPAS kit as I'm not into running my steering in fail safe mode or out of something with probably 150K on the odometer.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Grab a PS cooler off a 70s F100 or go on ebay and look at oil coolers for Harleys, small compact and inexpensive.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
I'm not a PS expert, but with the howling while cold and your other issues I think you have a more fundamental problem than fluid cooling. With the "small" pulley you could be spinning the pump too fast causing cavitation and aeration ? Is the fluid foamy after your run ?

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not a PS expert, but with the howling while cold and your other issues I think you have a more fundamental problem than fluid cooling. With the "small" pulley you could be spinning the pump too fast causing cavitation and aeration ? Is the fluid foamy after your run ?
My bad, I have the larger or underdrive pulley off a 85 F150. No foaming that I can see. I ordered a couple of new caps from NPD to play with. No more Motorcraft type F at NPD I ‘m assuming discontinued.

Reactions: stephen_wilson

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
918 Posts
Ohhh, this sounds so familiar....first, change your ps cap to a good sealing unit like OER 15437 at summitracing, second, swing by pick&pull and grab a power steering cooler out of a truck, 3/8" input and output. Last, betting your crank pulley is 7", and your ps pulley is 5.5" or larger. You're over-driving your ps pump, when you're doing 5500rpm in autocross, you're pump is doin 7k rpm. It might be necessary to go to a 5.5" crank pulley to slow down your pump. Put the cooler on the return line, mount down low just behind the rad support. Don't worry about the water pump and alt pulleys, they'll be fine with the smaller crank pulley. How do I know, I just went through all this. Last, don't be surprised if you have to pick up a new pump.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Redline makes a synthetic type F power steering fluid. Has anyone tried it? It looks like it might have a higher temp rating than regular type F fluid.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts