Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to convert to serpentine belts without busting the bank on a March kit? at $1700.00 +or- for all the parts :loco: , then add in labor. Yikes!
I'm getting tired of dealing with squealing V-belts, But at that cost I'll continue to deal with it. :shrug:

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Hopefully some more will chime in on this but I have heard March has a water pump pulley that will allow you to use the stock serpentine crank and alternator pulleys..

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
monkeystash said:
How about just salvaging one from any late model Ford that has a 302?
That would require a smog pump if I'm not mistaken.

Joe

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
Sourcing late model 302 stuff would work, but you will have to get the reverse rotation water pump and will likely have to use an electric fuel pump. I recall a clearance issue with bracketry and the mechanical fuel pump. What accessories are you running? The less the easier ;)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Get one from a late model 5.0 Mustang, T-bird, Cougar, Lincoln Mark VII, and small block late 80's to early 90's ford trucks (F-Series, Bronco, and E-Series van). Avoid the 5.0 Grand Marquis and Crown Vic; they have the bulky two belt design. There will be plenty of sets to be found at a local pick and pull.

·
Registered
115 Posts
You can remove and bypass the smog pump by just running the belt a little differently.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Okay, just found this. It shows how you can route the serp belt if you don't have a smog pump or PS. Plus, FMS also makes a A/C eliminator kit, if you just have an alternator. Check it:

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL449/9961825/17979446/300205778.jpg

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have it all: alt, PS, AC,
I was prompted to ask this earlier by reading the Taurus electric fan swap. Since it requires a 3G alternator, why not just swap out the pulleys and belts and be done with the annoying noise.
That was my thinking.
So if I take a bucket full of pulley pullers to the pick and pull I will be able to aquire the necessary hardware. Then it would be off the autozone for a serpentine bel.
This could turn out to be a cool swap :idea:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Monkeystash you really don't think we could read that small print did you?
Is there a way to make it the large print readers digest version?

·
Registered
270 Posts
You can run a serpentine setup from a 5.0L with a few minor tweaks. Here is a pic of mine before I converted it to EFI. Yes you can run a mechanical pump without issue ('85 GT H.O.) and you can delete the smog pump as shown in the belt diagram posted above. One issue to solve is the spacing on the harmonic balancer. I believe the 5.0L balancer is longer. I *think* you may need to buy a Pro Products balancer and spacer (or equivalent) to make sure your balancer lines up with the new pulleys.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dude is that a Delta jet?
The link isn't working right now maybe when I get home this evening I'll try again.
Thanks for the consideration, us old guys need all the help we can get.
That why I asked for the large print edition.

·
Registered
119 Posts
fouronthefloor did you ever get an answer to your 3 basic pulley question? This is what I want to do.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
fouronthefloor did you ever get an answer to your 3 basic pulley question? This is what I want to do.
You resurrected a 3 year old thread. Not sure if you'll get an answer.

·
Registered
252 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts