Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently dropped a new ford 306 crate engine in my 68 convertible. I was going to reuse my vbelt pulleys, but even cleaned up they look like crap. I don't want to spend the bucks on the March set (too much $$$). Does anybody have a recommendation for obtaining the complete set of stock black brackets and pulleys for a later model 5.0l? I found these on ebay, but they are underdrive and I don't know if that will work. Also, I have the classic air kit halfway installed right now.

5.0 FORD MUSTANG 79-93 SERPENTINE PULLEY & BRACKETS KIT - eBay (item 290515179442 end time Feb-20-11 21:04:40 PST)

Thanks

·
Registered
353 Posts
I recently dropped a new ford 306 crate engine in my 68 convertible. I was going to reuse my vbelt pulleys, but even cleaned up they look like crap. I don't want to spend the bucks on the March set (too much $$$). Does anybody have a recommendation for obtaining the complete set of stock black brackets and pulleys for a later model 5.0l?
Pulling them yourself in a junkyard? The set on my '65 were a combination of stuff that came with the car when I got it, stuff I pulled at the junkyard, a set of aftermarket underdrive pulleys, and a couple bits I got from eBay.

The late 5.0 brackets are a combination of aluminum castings and stamped steel pieces, and while they're functionally better than the aftermarket stuff looks are not their strong point. There were AC-delete cars but most Fox/SN95 brackets assume an AC compressor at upper left. It also uses a late plastic-reservoir PS pump that has the inlets and outlets very differently located from the earlier cars.

·
Registered
316 Posts
For what its worth - I am not trying to hijack your thread - for a cheap serpentine set up for a cleveland find a wrecked 351w powered pick up - they work for a cleveland - with one little glitch - you need to find a reverse rotation water pump or make another bracket to spin the pump in is normal direction.

·
Registered
206 Posts
they work for a cleveland - with one little glitch - you need to find a reverse rotation water pump or make another bracket to spin the pump in is normal direction.[/quote]

Is it possible to turn a cleveland waterpump backwards, I.E. changing the impeller to a late model 5.0 or5.8?

·
Registered
316 Posts
shelbyshelby said:

Is it possible to turn a cleveland waterpump backwards, I.E. changing the impeller to a late model 5.0 or5.8?

Reply:

I am not sure but its worth exploring - heres a fox body with a serpentine on his cleveland - ignore the fact that its a fox.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I sent the lad with the 91 fox 351C an email regarding his serpentine set up - lets see if he responds.......:)

·
Registered
759 Posts
If you think March is expensive you don't want to look at Billet Specialties, Vintage Air's Front Runner, or Concept One. You'll have a heart attack...

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow thanks for the hijack Vipex lol. My original question was relating to a 302 based motor. Anybody else have any input on getting the pulleys and brackets on a budget? I would even go with a vbelt if it looked good. Most kits I find are underdrive which I didn't think was good idea for a classic mustang.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
I'm staging all the Fox front end parts on my engine while it is sitting on the stand right now. Don't use the SN95 5.0 stuff since I found out the A/C compressor hits the shock tower.

What is needed? Other than the obvious pulleys, alternator bracket, idler/tensioner assembly, P.S/compressor brackets, there are various bolts of different sizes. Now remember, you are going to need a timing chain cover that works with the reverse rotation water pump.
Hole drilled in Fox timing chain cover for dip stick/tube & this requires mods.
Correct Fox water pump (FRPP at Summit Racing for $50)
Special adaptors for P/S pump to vintage P/S system
Special water pump bolts/studs for brackets. Available at Totally Stainless
Radiator with correct outlet locations or special hose adapter for bottom hose.
Fox/SN95 thermostat housing

Now over on corral.net you can find these parts all day long with a simple WTB ad. Be warned though, the guys selling there are like sharks circling in the water. If they want to sell it, cheap. If you want to buy it, it is a rare commodity and the price goes up 4X!!
You can also eleminate the air pump and modify the alternator bracket remove the mounting ears so it looks better, and to fit a 3G alternator in it. Also on Corral is belt routing posts to show you how to reroute the serpentine belt with now air pump of A/C compressor or no P/S pump. And they have belt lengths listed too.
Once I have everything lined up, I'm sending off all the parts for powder coating then reassemble.
Oh, almost forgot one big issue. The FOX timing chain cover has no provision for a fuel pump. There is one made that does though, and I think I have an extra at home if interested.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
One more quick question. Did you use the correct gear on the distributor? If it has a roller cam, you are going to need a steel gear. Don't just drop your original dizzy back in the block.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Wow thanks for the hijack Vipex lol. My original question was relating to a 302 based motor. Anybody else have any input on getting the pulleys and brackets on a budget? I would even go with a vbelt if it looked good. Most kits I find are underdrive which I didn't think was good idea for a classic mustang.

sorry bud - my bad - a serpentine from a 5.0 would work great. The fact that you are concerned about the underdrive issue is not an issue at all. If anything its a good thing - less parasitic loss from the accessories. If you score an entire set from ebay then go for it.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Keep in mind the pulley spacing on a 5.0 is different than on a 68 302..The balancer on a 5.0 sticks the pulley out further forward and the water pump pulley will not line up if using the 68 style V pulleys..I am not sure what type of balancer is on your crate motor but just something to keep in mind when ordering pulleys...

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Sometimes there is a water pump output conflict also depending on which direction you spin things and which water pump that sends you out with. Not a big deal, but consider when purchasing on how it lines up with radiator.

·
Registered
987 Posts
What about these options? I haven't explored any of them, yet, so I don't know if they would work or not.

302/5.0 Ford Rangers and Bronco II

How similar are the 5.0 Thunderbird brackets to either the Fox or 94/95 Mustang? I know the 94/95 won't work, but of they are closer to the Fox, they should work.

V8 Mustangs don't last long in the local Pick-N-Pull, assuming they make it that far. There are places I can order them from, but it would be cheaper to find something "non-Mustang".

M/C

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
I would stick to the Fox body system just because there are plenty of them around, and lots of internet info out there. And aftermarket support for them too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts