Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I was hoping someone might be able to help me.

I am in the throws of installing a new blueprint 347 crate engine and want to do a serpentine conversion while I’m at it.

I called unisteer and they seemed annoyed. Maybe the employee was having a bad day, but he seemed to keep pointing me to a v-belt bracket. He finally asked I called March performance.

After calling March performance, they tried to help, but were unsure what bracket I needed to order with their pulley kit in order to mount the unisteer pump.

Has anyone done a serpentine conversion with a unisteer power steering pump? If so, what bracket would I require to properly mount the unisteer power steering pump to the engine so that it will work correctly with a serpentine system?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
I used a Fox type serpentine system with a modified A/C bracket, and a fabricated PS bracket for a KRC pump. The PS bracket is 1/2" aluminum plate and the spacers are 1/4" wall aluminum tube. KRC has aluminum spacers but their selection is sometimes limited. The KRC pump is a GM type II with some modifications. I also used a 4" crank pulley.

Unisteer uses two different type of PS pumps, the "canned ham" type and the GM type II. The GM type II is a better pump.
I'm also using a Unisteer rack.

Reactions: ripped

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used a Fox type serpentine system with a modified A/C bracket, and a fabricated PS bracket for a KRC pump. The PS bracket is 1/2" aluminum plate and the spacers are 1/4" wall aluminum tube. KRC has aluminum spacers but their selection is sometimes limited. The KRC pump is a GM type II with some modifications. I also used a 4" crank pulley.

Unisteer uses two different type of PS pumps, the "canned ham" type and the GM type II. The GM type II is a better pump.
I'm also using a Unisteer rack.

I ended up ordering a serpentine conversion kit from CVF racing. They recommended I use the pump in their kit instead of the unisteer pump.

AFAIK, the unisteer is a GM type ll pump. I’m not sure what the CVF pump is, but they seemed confident it would be compatible with the unisteer R&P and should have near the same specs as the unisteer pump.

I will report back once I have everything installed, but I am a bit weary not using the supplied pump from unisteer.

Hopefully it won’t be an issue? I’m not well versed on this type of tech.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts