Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting married in April and have made a deal with my future wife. I am going to get my 65 convertible looking sharp so we can drive off in it. Mechanicaly and structually the car is sound and the interior is OK- I just need to get the exterior fixed up. I have several questions to accomplish this goal.

1) I need a new top with all the works- weather stripping etc. Should I do this before the body work and paint?
What should I expect to pay for something like this?
Does anybody recommend a shop in the Raleigh-Durham area to do this?

2) I am going to strip the old paint off and take it down to metal. At that point I would like to take it to a shop for bodywork, prep, and paint. Does anyone recomend a shop in Raleigh to this?

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Haha, good job. At least your wife understands the mustang is an important thing in your life and not some silly male obsesion. :p Or i guess it could be both.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Congrats on the upcomming wedding! In answer to one of your questions:

1) do the top after the painting and colorsanding is done. This way the new top won't be stained or oversprayed when painted. Expect a new top to cost you over $1k if you take it to the upholstery/restoration shop (depending on the quality of work). Normally I'd say do it yourself, but on vert top's i've watched a couple being pu ton and it's a real PIA to get everything to fit just right w/o it being too taunt or too loose.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts