Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
19,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, now I've reached a new level of being tired. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif I spent seven hours today cleaning and detailing the interior and engine of my coupe--five hours of it on the engine. That's what it takes when you have a driven concours car that you show as a trailered concours car.

It was worth it, however, as I'm pleased with how everything is looking for the most part. Tomorrow, the tranny pan gets replaced and a little more detailing will be done on the undercarriage. That just leaves the underneath of the engine and the exterior paint and I'll be ready for the Grand National.

Of course, I still have to wash my truck, wash my trailer, load the car, pack, etc. We leave a week from tomorrow! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
I hate when I detail..just seems like it takes hours and the progress is so slow..I actually found myself one day before a show..washing the power steering connections on the hose..using a tooth brush..*LOL* How sick are we?..*LOL*

·
Administrator
19,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let's see, today I used a toothbrush on the door hinges, the door jamb, the intake manifold, the battery, an area on the inner fender lip, the water pump, and few other areas on the engine. Yep, we're sick, but our cars look great! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
do you have a career, Laurie? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif)

·
Administrator
19,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sure do, I own an archaeological/historical preservation consulting business. We do a lot of "detailing" work in archaeology, too. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Administrator
19,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Won't bother me if it does, the car is garaged and covered. My truck won't be happy, however, it's always outside.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Yipes.... not looking forward to that dust storm. I just moved to Tucson, and now my pony stays outside without any covering. Maybe I'll slap the car cover on before the stuff starts flying, although I hate to fill it with grit. Guess it's better the car cover than sandblasting the paint.

G

·
Laurie when you get a chance sometime after the show maybe we could see some pictures of your car--- engine & under would be nice.---Thanks----Frank.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Laurie, you've become the poster child for those of us who will never show at the concours level. I would never have the patience for detailing like that (which is also why I'm pretty sure I'll never own my own archaeology company or even work for one! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif).

I'd be thinking the whole time that I should be out driving, rather than detailing the car to the point of taking it off the road until after the Grand National. But I guess that's why you and your like-minded friends and competitors qualify as the curators of Mustang history. Good luck to you at the National!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I went to the mustangs unlim ted show yesterday and the clouds rolled in right as they were going around. Not mutch judging, very few cars there probably due to the forcast. It rained hard for 5 minutes then the roads were wet for the next hour.

God does have a wonderful sense of humor.

·
Administrator
19,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll take some more at the show (digital camera is in the repair shop right now), but there are some pictures up on my website:

http://www.tucsonpony.com

·
Administrator
19,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Bill! So far, my patience is holding up fine, although I was sorely tempted to fling a rubber grommet across the garage yesterday. I know better than to throw tools--learned that the hard way.

Today, we replaced the tranny pan, which was badly banged up from offroad driving, and then we went to finish the pinstriping on my trailer and I added a few pony decals to it.

Still a lot to do, but Chuck gave me a nice compliment on the engine today. That makes it all worthwhile, and tells me I'm doing a good job. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 13 of 13 Posts