Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first of all im 17 and on a minimum wage budget. Its a 67 coupe. I already own a din sized cd player and 2 6X9 pioneer speakers. And i need to know how to install these.

1) the speakers, i am missing the package tray, so i just see the metal holes, the package tray will have to wait, so what holes do i use until then, and will vibration be a problem to merit dynamat?

2)the deck, i do not want to install it in the glovebox. And my radio bezel is already a repro, if i cut it fit stereo, how do i secure the stereo, like stop it from rattling around. And the second option would be to somehow intstall it underneath the dash, does anybody know of a company that sells some kind of harness to hold it?

thanks
tomas

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
put it in whatever holes it fits in :p

6x9's, i dont think they will cause mutch rattle but its a try and see kind of thing

On my 67 coupe i welded up the package tray metal better, all that metal behind the seat that connects the wheelwells to the package tray. I slapped it around before and anfter and noticed it fealt more solid and rattled less. Little food for thought.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In my '68 my opening was already cut to fit
the new din size,so this was not a problem.
The tabs can be bent to support the cage to
hold the stero in place.
since this a repo that you have in my opinion I
see no problems with cutting it to fit your
radio.
As far as the speakers go.They should fit
the 6x9 holes in your rear deck.I had no
problems with mine.They may vibrate and cause
unwanted sound.You may want to use the dyno mat.

Make sure you ground the stero to clean surface
or you may recieve feed back in the system.

If you have any more questions you can email
or private message me and I will try to help.

Bryan

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
AS far as the bezel is concerned.....The fasteners used on the stereo bezel will act as the stereo face anchor to avoid rattling....

Go to your local stereo store and get a sheet metal trim with many small holes.......the middle of all holes will hook up to the threads that portrude from the rear of the stereo....there should be a nut included....

anchor the outter edges of the sheet metal trim to the inner part of the fire wall.....this will stabilize the rear part of the stereo to avoid vibration and unwanted cd skipping.

Yes....you can use the stock stereo location......just make sure you measure three times before any cutting.

let us know how it goes.....

as far as a package tray goes.... a low budget one can be built....use MDF or fiber board.....and line it with glue and upholstery of your choide.....then mount the speakers on top after making the speaker cut outs....

make sure the upholstery used tucks in under the package tray so that no edges are visible from interior.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I dont like the glovebox install either. I used a Dremell Tool to cut the proper DIM size for my cd player in my 66. It was very easy to do with that tool, and I have used it a bunch of other times for numerous projects. The metal sleeve that inserts first is plenty to hold the radio in place, it has tabs that you bend back to secure it to the opening. I just upgraded my cd player this weeknd to the new Alpine CDA-7498. Man I love that thing. I actually made a new package tray from this like panel board stuff from Home Depot, cut it to size, painted it, look nice. Someone at one time allready had 6X9's in the rear, so all I had to do was cut the holes trough the paneling. I used these 5 inch long X 1/8 inch togglebolts to secure the speakers back there, they dont rattle a bit. One day I am going to take a bunch of pictures of my car and stereo setup, i'll let you know when I do, so you can get some ideas. Good luck.

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,497 Posts
An unpainted package tray is available in the NPD catalog for less than $10.00. I'm sure it's available from opther vendors as well.

As for rear speaker vibration in the metal mounting holes, try some foam weather stripping with adhesive on one side (available in most hardware stores) to insulate the speaker mounting surface from the package shelf. Cheaper than Dynamat.

The factory radio was secured in the rear by a strap bolted to the lower edge of the dash board. I do not recommend drilling a hole in the firewall for this purpose as part of the firewall is the cowl and you don't want to give water any additional opportunities to leak out of the cowl and onto your carpeting/floors/ etc.

On the underdash mounting harness question, I don't beleive that an aftermarket harness specifically designed for the Mustand exists. Most likely it isn't needed as other than the power lead(s) there really insn't anything else about the factory wiring harness that hooks up to the harness that came with your stereo. Just hook it all up and wrap the wires in a length of flex loom to clean up the under dash area.

·
Registered
489 Posts
The stereo shouldn't be a problem fitting into the bezel after you grind it to fit. You might have to fabricate a support for the rear of the deck, but that's easy to do since you can pick up some bar stock at any hardware store with holes already drilled in it...or drill it yourself. Check out my website, page three for how I mounted my radio.

As for the 6x9's, the other guys have good advice. They won't rattle.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Make sure you fasten the rear speakers securely. If you hit something (or something hits you) and they're loose, they'll keep moving forwards while you have stopped. Last thing you want is a kilogram of magnet hitting you in the back of the head.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts