Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '65 coupe needs a little "waking up" in the wheel department. I bought the car wearing 14" Magnum 500 wheels (or look-alikes) and white walls.

http://www.noreastreplicas.com/images/stangside3.jpg

I'm leaning toward 15" Styled Steel Wheels. I'd like to run 8" on the rear with 235/60 BFG T/A's and 7" front with 225/60's. The backspace is not specified on their website. Suspension is stock, fenders not rolled and I'm putting R&C disks on the front. Anyone have any experience with this combo or something close ? I checked the Dodgestang sheet and didn't find this combo.

2nd Question: Laurel Mountain has these made by Specialty Wheel for $635 with lugs & centers. Good wheel / good price ?

Last but not least, is there any resale value in the wheels I have ? They are in need of repaint and the trim rings are in fair condition with some minor dings. Tires look new. Any thoughts on their value would be appreciated. As I'm sure all can appreciate, with all of the plans I have, every $ counts.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I have 15 x 7 styled steel wheels from Specialty Wheels on my '66 Fastback. My tires are 225/60 BFG T/A's front and rear. When I first put them on, the fronts hit every time I went over even a modest bump. I rebuilt the suspension with new springs, and now I almost never have a problem. That said, if I was doing it over again I would try and find 225/50s or go with 215/60s for a shorter tire.

IIRC, I paid something like $550 for a set of "blems" with center caps and lug nuts directly from Specialty Wheels at a local swap meet. If they were really "blems," then Specialty Wheels must have pretty high standards, because I can't find any problems with them. This was about 3 years ago.

By all means, try and sell your old wheels on Ebay. I was amazed to see what people were willing to pay for mine. I sold my old 14 x 5 wheels and Michelin tires with about 50% tread left for over $400. The wheels were fair or good at best, and that's how I represented them.

Good luck,
MrFreeze

1 - 2 of 2 Posts