Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It should come as no surprise that the early '80's model Custom Autosound stereo in my dash is on it's last leg. I want to replace it on the cheap. eBay usually has a collection of used "shaft style" radios, and I've been eyeballing a few. Has anyone picked up one of these and put them in their 'Stang? What if any modification was required to install such a unit?

What is the spacing between the knob holes on a 65/66?

I've also been wrestling with the possibility of just putting a cheap DIN unit in the glove box... but I'd rather use the stock dash location.

At this time, cutting my unmolested dash is not an option.

Any ideas/advice?

PS - sorry to start up another "stereo" topic... I didn't want to hijack the other current thread.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I have opted to put an original, non-functional radio in the dash of my '66 for looks, then mount a modern DIN style deck with CD and iPod cable under the dash. As you say, Custom AutoSound units are junk, and cutting an original dash is sacrilege. I put the deck very low and far back under the dash, so it is not very noticeable,but I can't really reach it while driving. Since most new decks come with remotes, I just use that. Having really nice sound and a direct iPod connection is definitely worth it, in my opinion.

I had some high-end speakers custom fit into the dash opening, and another set on the package tray. Put a decent amp in the trunk, and you have a relatively inexpensive, fairly stealth, pretty good quality system.

Since your car has AC, you could put the unit under the dash on the passenger side of the evaporator, or in the glove box as you mention. The drawback with in the glove box option is that the remotes require a line-of-sight to operate, so you would have to leave the glove box open. Or get creative and make a mount that fits in place of the glove box door? I haven't seen this, but it might be worth a thought.

I hope there is something in my Thursday morning rambling that helps...

MrFreeze

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
Before I chopped the dash in my '66 to fit a DIN sized radio in it, I took a cheapie shaft style radio and modified it to fit the unique hole configuration on my Mustang. The biggest thing you'll notice is that the controls need to move up. Depending on how the circuitry is connected on the inside, you may be able to just modify the metal case and move the knobs up. Another problem I had was that the center section was a little too large for the hole in the dash so I had to get creative and round the corners in order for it to fit.

It can be done, but to do it right will take a bit of work.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a quick follow up... I pulled the original AM radio out of the box of stuff I got from the PO. I blew the dust out of the inside, lubricated the tuning mechanism, and cleaned the flat black paint that had been oversprayed on the bezel. The wires had been cut so I soldered in some new ones. I took it out to the car, plugged it up, and surprise, surprise... it worked! I picked up a cheapo dash speaker from Advance Auto and I'm now pushing 3 watts of unadulterated AM power! Now I need one of those FM converters so I can get my NPR fix.

As for tunes, I've got an old Soundstream amp that still works. I'm going to throw some decent 6x9's into the package tray and hook my iPod up to the amp. It's not a system that will take first place at IASCA, but it'll do for now.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I love the looks of my original AM in my dash.
I did, like others, put a stereo in the glovebox.
I have a remote control for the modern radio.
Only thing is, I have to open the glove box door to use the remote. I have Vert, so its nice to hang out and change the tunes from afar.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts