Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pretty bad shake or shimmy above around 25 or 30mph up to 60 (haven't been past there yet). I just had the 66 lined up and new 225/60/15 goodyear TA's put on. I have in the last few weeks: New lca's, new inner and outer rie rods (granada swap)new end links and bushings, the uca's have been replaced in the past and looked good). The bushings on the strut rods looked to be in good shape and the shop would have told me if they weren't. They've done other vehicles for me and done excellent work. The align. specs were okay with what I've seen posted here before. If I push the clutch in and coast, the shake is still there. (I am getting a little clutch chatter on take off.) The shake was not there before taking it in for the align/new tires. Any help? :( If one of these (given to me for free) chrome wheels were messed up, would that show up in the balancing? I will swap the front and back wheels tomorrow morn. to see if that helps...

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Same wheels?

My instinct is tire balance but I've seen some shops screw the alignment up incredibly so it could be that too but less likely.

If different wheels, could be the wheels; maybe bent or out of concentric.

Any brake work done concurrently with tire replacement?

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Put the front end up on jack stands and observe the tire while spinning it. Look at it from the side first, then look at it from the front. If there's any wobble, you should be able to see it. Also, look for tread wobble on the tires. I recently had to replace a Michelin on the wife's car that had tread wobble (new tire that came on the car). If that shows nothing, swapping front to rear may show a difference to at least isolate the problem a bit more.

If it's tire or wheels, you would think that it would show up on the balancing machine. ::

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Are you feeling it in the steering wheel, or does it feel like it's from the rear? If it's in the steering wheel, it's alingment or tire/wheel problem (most likely balance).

If your steering wheel is not trying to beat you to death, I'd try looking first at your u-joints, particularly the rear one. The alingment shop could just be coincidence.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's one thing I was wondering, Pat, if one of the chrome wheels someone gave me could have a problem and it did not show up on the balancing machine? They put these wheels on for the first time with the new tires. If swapping the new tires front to back doesn't change, I may just put the old mismatched tires/wheels back on just to verify if the chrome one's are a problem. thanks..gary. ps: they gave me a printout of the align and it was withing the specs I have seen on here before. Also, I did the granada swap recently, but have driven since then (a little) and did not have the "shakes" but the pads were binding a little on the discs so I removed and greased the sliding part of the braket per orders from here and that doesn't seem to be a problem now.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Johnpro, it is definitely in the steering wheel. It's strange because it did not do this before the new stuff. I am really thinking a screwed up chrome wheel (they are used and were free :p ). I was really wondering if the wheel could be messed up and not show up when they put on the new tires and balanced???? (I did not drive down there on the chrome wheels, they were inside the back of my blazer) also, by pushing in the clutch and coasting a long way down a hill, doesn't that disengage the driveshaft, it was still shaking badly.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Your tires could be out of round and yet still be balanced according to the machine. I have boughten brand new Michelins before and never been able to get them run quietly during there life on my explorer. If there were a problem with the wheels I would think you would have seal problems. I guess you could check the wheel for any major defortmation by measuring with a tape.

G

·
0 Posts
I am battling the same issues. Tonight I finally swapped wheels/tires with my buddy's 68 and sure enough it was the wheels. I had them balanced a week ago and they came out fine but when I put an indicator on them I found over .080" radial runout. My shimmy started about 55mph and was unbearable by 70. I put my buddy's 14" wheels with rotten tires and it drove smooth as high as I dared take it. To answer one of your previous questions, yes a good machine balance can be achieved even with a bad wheel but it's not the cure.
Micah

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks to all, I will replace the "new" wheels one at a time with the old junky one's and should be able to work it out...man, this place is great. Give me the confidence to do anything ::

1 - 10 of 10 Posts