Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I test drove my Mustang project and for the first time put some actual miles on it; just over 50 miles. Previously, I had driven it only to the exhaust shop and back when I discovered I wiped a cam lobe. (My fault. It’s a solid lifter cam and one of the rockers was too loose and beat on the lifter.) I installed a new cam, changed the oil and hoped for the best. I figured the engine would either be OK or completely trashed requiring a teardown and rebuild. The results are detailed below. I’m a bit long-winded here, but when I was planning and building my Mustang, I really appreciated reading about other Mustang projects. So here we go…

**BACKGROUND: The car is a 1970 Mach 1 H-Code. It was a running/driving car when I bought it 7 years ago, but it was REALLY rough. I took it down to a bare metal shell, replaced a LOT of sheet metal and painted it myself in my garage. I rebuilt the factory 351 Cleveland and bolted a TKO 600 behind it. I had the factory 9” differential rebuilt with an Eaton Truetrac and a 3.70 gear.**

- I broke-in the new cam a couple of weeks ago. Today I brought the engine up to operating temperature and tried to dial in the timing and the carburetor. Using a timing light, I set it at 14 degrees BTDC per recommendation from Dan at Mustang barn when he calibrated the ignition curve. I connected a vacuum gauge and kept tweeking the idle mixture until I got maximum vacuum which was 12 HG. This seems kinda low, but I do have a custom cam which is just a bit snotty and I’m at just over 6,000 feet above sea level. (The needle on the gauge was rock-steady, so I’m hoping the 12 HG is OK.) I ended up setting the idle at just over 800 RPM. It's a Summit Racing 600 CMF carburetor.

- I pulled onto a local artery and drove with the flow of traffic. I made every effort to take it easy on the new engine, but man does it want to go! The engine pulls like a mule and winds very quickly. I’m glad I have the rev limiter set at 5,500 for now lest it get away from me.

- I have Bilstein Street Performance shocks all around. The front coil springs are a street performance model from Scott Drake. The rear leafs are mideye also from Scott Drake. I did the Shelby drop and installed roller spring perches. The front sway bar is a 1-1/8” and I’m running the factory rear sway bar. (All from Shaun at Street or Track.) I haven’t yet had the front suspension aligned, but it tracks and steers surprisingly well. The ride is firm, but not jarring or even stiff. I’m really happy with it thus far and looking forward to testing it after I get it aligned.

- I had a custom dual exhaust installed with an H-Pipe and Flowmaster mufflers. There’s just a bit of drone around 2,000 RPM, but it’s not too bad. I don’t have the door glass installed yet, so I don’t know how it will sound inside with the window up. Overall, I’m happy with the sound.

- On the highway I kept checking the oil pressure and temperature; both seemed OK. At temperature, the oil pressure is just above 40 PSI at idle. The temp is actually cooler than I’d like. I’m running a factory spec 190 thermostat, but the mechanical gauge showed between 160 and 170 at speed. At stop lights, it went up to 180. The outside temp was in the 40s which might explain why it was running so cool (??).

- At a light, I was next to a chick in a Fox Body, 5.0 Mustang with an aftermarket, high-rise hood. She looked over and gave me a big thumbs-up. :wink:

- Everything was going great until I decided to turn around. The sun was going down and I wanted to head back. When I stopped to do a U-Turn, the engine wouldn’t idle. It kept dying. Of course, I was sitting on an incline and trying to keep the engine running so I could make the U-Turn. Yay! When I took off, I got a slight bark from the rear tires. “CHIRP!”.

- I pulled into a parking lot to see why the engine wouldn’t idle and verify all the lights and turn signals were working. When I stopped, the engine was idling perfectly at just over 800 again. All the lights and turn signals checked OK. When I pulled back onto the highway, the turn signals and the factory gauges suddenly stopped working. (Figures!)

- The next time I stopped at a light, the engine was idling at 1500 RPM. What the hey!

- Other than the idling issue and the turn signals, everything was great. Man, I’m sure glad I have an overdrive! If I’m driving at 70 MPH in fourth gear, the engine is at 3,000 RPM. If I shift into fifth, the RPMs drop to 2,000. Nice. The engine has plenty of torque and the car will cruise effortlessly in overdrive; even below 2,000 RPM.

- One issue I had with the trans is the gears would sometimes grind a bit when downshifting. I’m not sure if I need to adjust the clutch or adjust my technique.

- I got home as the sun was going down. When I pulled into the garage, the gauges and turn signals started working again. (??) I popped off the air cleaner to check the carb. The choke was about halfway closed. I think that’s what was causing the idling issues. I connected the choke to a 12V source that’s hot when the key is on, but it apparently stopped working. I’m going to re-wire it to the alternator. Not sure why I didn’t do that in the first place.

- One note of concern; when I got back to the garage I noticed an intermittent, high pitched squealing sound. It kinda sounds like a hissing noise that comes and goes. Man, I sure hope it’s not the clutch, throwout bearing or something similar. Not sure when I’m going to be able to take a look at it.

In summary, I want to thank all the good people here on VMF for your support and assistance over the past 7 years. Man, what a Marathon! I still have a long way to go; interior, trim pieces, door glass, more tuning. And whatever is causing that squealing/hissing noise.

I’ll try to post some video with audio soon. I have a dash cam, but I haven’t yet installed it or figured out how to use it.

·
Registered
9,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I kept reading and was expecting a video at the end... Glad to hear things went so well.
Yeah, sorry, man. I've had so much going on with Christmas and a wiped cam, I haven't been able to ramp up with the dash cam.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I occasionally have that same issue with my idle. Took me forever to figure out that it was the choke. I had no problems with it in the summer but come winter the idle would soar up to 1500 when I would come to a stop and once I tapped the gas it would come back down. I finally figured out that it was the source I had it hooked to (blower wire) when I would turn the heater fan on the blower would steal power from the choke and the choke would cool down and fast idle would engage. Once I figured that out, I moved it to the stator in the alternator, but since that doesn't provide a full 12v my idle will vary from 700 to around a 900 I need to find a good 12 source.

·
Registered
9,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^ You know, I was running the blower motor. It was getting a bit cold so I turned on the heater.

Thanks for sharing that. I likely would have never figured that out. Strange you're not getting a full 12V from the alternator.

·
Super Moderator
8,843 Posts
I kept reading and was expecting a video at the end... Glad to hear things went so well.
Yeah, sorry, man. I've had so much going on with Christmas and a wiped cam, I haven't been able to ramp up with the dash cam.
Yes,.....video is required!!

·
Registered
498 Posts
^^ You know, I was running the blower motor. It was getting a bit cold so I turned on the heater.

Thanks for sharing that. I likely would have never figured that out. Strange you're not getting a full 12V from the alternator.
The stator only puts out like 9v if I remember correctly, while that is fine for the old Ford chokes most modern carbs specify the full 12v. The stator is probably the easiest place to use. But I suspect that it's the reason that I get RPM variance. It's not opening the choke completely therefore engaging the fast idle slightly.

·
Registered
498 Posts
BTW Klutch I live in Colorado Springs as well. At least for the next month and a half. I am changing duty stations to San Antonio in February. Maybe before I leave we can meet up and I can check out your car. I have a 65 coupe with a C code 289, 4bbl carb, and a T5.

Also I only get 15Hhg vacuum on a stock cam. So I imagine that the 12 you are getting is about right with a more radical cam.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Klutch, so great to see that you are finally getting on the road with that thing! I know you must be very proud as this has been a long time coming.

I wouldn't worry about the 12" of vacuum. Jane's got a somewhat rumpy-rump cam and had only 10" of vacuum when I lived up in Florissant. I did note that the factory manual states that timing should be advanced for cars at high altitude by a certain amount per 1000 ft... forget that number now but there is a diagram in the manual that will tell you.

The most infuriating thing about breaking in a new engine was, for me, having to oscillate RPMs to avoid staying at the same RPM for too long in the first 500 miles. Very annoying having to slow down and speed up and slow down and speed up and slow down and speed up instead of just cruising at a constant speed. I was not so good about it and was also not very good at avoiding full throttle early on, which probably contributed to my piston rings taking a really long time to seat :shrug:

·
Registered
9,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BTW Klutch I live in Colorado Springs as well. At least for the next month and a half. I am changing duty stations to San Antonio in February. Maybe before I leave we can meet up and I can check out your car. I have a 65 coupe with a C code 289, 4bbl carb, and a T5.

Also I only get 15Hhg vacuum on a stock cam. So I imagine that the 12 you are getting is about right with a more radical cam.
Sure, PM me and you can come by and see my Mustang in my very humble garage.

Or, you can drop by the next Rocky Mountain Mustangers meeting. Our next meeting will be at the Mimi's Café on North Academy (Near Woodmen intersection) on January 19th at 12:00 PM. Drop on by just to say hello and let us check out your Mustang. I hope to have mine there as well.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Lol, I don't even have a garage anymore. I moved into an apartment and sadly all my tools are in storage. Probably will be for the next couple of years until I finish school. Good thing all the Army posts have a Auto Craft Shop to be able to work on my car.
I may be out of town on the weekend of the 19th. But if not I will be sure to head to Mimi's for the Meetup.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Congrats on making the road trip!
Sounds like you have a few tweaks to make. But at least you didn't end up on a flat-bed like my 1st road trip in my 70 Mach 1, about 10 years ago.
How embarrassing.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Today I had the opportunity to meet @Klutch (Patrick) at his house and check out his car. He is doing a phenomenal job on it, as it looks and sounds really good. Had a great time visiting with him and learning about the car. Showed him my 65 and we chatted about my plans for it as well. Patrick thanks for letting me come by.

·
Registered
9,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Today I had the opportunity to meet @Klutch (Patrick) at his house and check out his car. He is doing a phenomenal job on it, as it looks and sounds really good. Had a great time visiting with him and learning about the car. Showed him my 65 and we chatted about my plans for it as well. Patrick thanks for letting me come by.

Thanks for coming by my humble shop. Great to meet you and your Mustang project.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts