Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
1970 Mustang sports roof
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an aftermarket shaker hood, need to get the trim ring yet. My question is what color do you paint the trim ring, I plan to do 70 Mach one hood stripe. I have to admit in 51 years I have never seen a shaker up close and personal 馃槼

I won a special award
I think they're flat black, but I'll defer to the experts.

Registered
AFAIK, the trim ring is painted with the same blackout paint used for the hood stripes. I have yet to paint the stripe on my '70 Mach 1 shaker hood. I painted the trim ring with Duplicolor "Low Gloss Black" and it looks pretty spiffy.

So, what paint is used for the hood stripes? The specific mix is no longer available, but you can get a custom mix based on formulas you can find online. Or you can simply buy a single-stage black paint and add flattener until you get the look you like. Some people shoot clear over the stripes. This makes painting easier and is easier to maintain as well. I don't like that look which is why I haven't gotten around to painting the stripes yet. That and my hood still needs some work.

Registered
AFAIK, the trim ring is painted with the same blackout paint used for the hood stripes. I have yet to paint the stripe on my '70 Mach 1 shaker hood. I painted the trim ring with Duplicolor "Low Gloss Black" and it looks pretty spiffy.

So, what paint is used for the hood stripes? The specific mix is no longer available, but you can get a custom mix base on formulas you can find online. Or you can simply buy a single-stage black paint and add flattener until you get the look you like. Some people shoot clear over the stripes. This makes painting easier and is easier to maintain as well. I don't like that look which is why I haven't gotten around to painting the stripes yet. That and my hood still needs some work.
I struggled with this but finally went paint stripes/shaker/trim ring/spoiler all done in same flat black. If its not concurs then keep it simple. I did clear the stripes under accepting that they will be shiny. Never liked the painted on stripes that leave and edge, mine were sanded post application then cleared.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts