Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, this may seem as sort of a strange question, but is there a way/point to run a paxton supercharger in tandem with a shaker (Sorta like Cobra Automotives dual supercharger setup.). Don't laugh if you think this is a fully lame question :p. Thanks.

-David Guy
Andern Research Labs/Bishop Computers

·
Registered
290 Posts
I've asked alot of stupid questions on here and these guys have'nt laughed at me yet unless it was truly a joke. So even if it seems stupid ask, the people on here are very cool.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
The shaker would have to be disconnected from the carb so as to provide inlet air to the supercharger, otherwise the boost from the supercharger outlet would vent to the atmosphere and you would loose your supercharger effect. This is why the supercharger on a carb'd application requires a sealed box surrounding the carb. I suppose in theory a one-way check valve could be used so that the shaker could remain connected to the carb, allowing air in to supplement the boost, but I don't think it would be possible in "real life" cause the air coming in from the shaker would be at a lower pressure than the boost to the carb, meaning again that the pressurized air would vent back through the shaker to the atmosphere.

I suppose you could use a mach one hood scoop and a flat duct directly under an opening in the hood under the scoop to channel outside air from the scoop into the inlet of the supercharger. You would need to provide for a water drain and air filter upstream of the supercharger and downstream of the scoop. You would loose the "ram air" effect of the moving air through the scoop, but that effect is orders of magnitude less than the boost provided by the supercharger, so it wouldn't matter. The only advantage, I suppose, is that the air would be cooler (more dense) and cleaner, being up off the ground. Just my 2 cents wroth.

sure it's fun, but it's only a car.

·
Registered
514 Posts
When I was a Bradenton for the Fun Ford Weekend I saw an intriguing set-up similar to what you're describing. On a 2000 Mustang GT wth 4.6L modular a guy was running a paxton and the new Classic Design Concepts shaker scoop. The classic shaker looks just like a 69-70 unit, but the lower section feeds air into the 4.6L air intake instead of a carb (It bolts to the intake manifold) . This guy fed the cold air outlet from the shaker into his blower. I don't know if the cold air from the shaker made any more power for him, but it really looked way cool.

http://216.71.48.244/archive/mikecar.jpg

65 Fastback 289 4spd in storage :-(
91 CRX Si... A.K.A. my go-kart with AC!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts