Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why, after spending $750 for an original shaker, plus another $230 for the cleaner lid, gasket and trim ring, did it never occur to me that the cables for the stock scoop turn signals go through freakin' huge holes behind where the shaker would come through?

Now I have to buy a hood for sure, instead of just in case. ::

I just glad I didn't start cutting anything.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
well, actually, unless you need to save that hood, you can weld over those large holes on top of the hood, grind 'em smooth, fill and block sand and THEN cut your shaker hole out. A few of the guys here on the forum have done just that to save the cost on an additional hood....

randy

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a possibility, but it won't be me with the torch. I haven't welded since 9th grade metal shop back in 76. The results weren't pretty. I don't really need to preserve the hood, since it already has a neat hole cut out under the standard scoop.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have a hood-- the only problem-- it's for a 70 car...(has the twist lock holes) If you don't mind them- you can have it for $75-- not rusty, or damaged, and already cut for the shaker-- factory hole!-- I'm in Topeka-- Bruce

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was wondering about a 70 hood. Would it be possible to change out the twist locks, or would that create another hole problem? Nothing beats a factory shaker hole!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad to help!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Will a 70 hood fit a 69?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Im in the process of having my second Mach converted to a shaker right now. I used my original hood and my body man used the pieces of metal from the big hole to weld into the small turn signal holes. If its done right you cant tell its not a factory shaker hood.

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL60/938553/1727890/27635883.jpg

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL60/938553/1727890/27635950.jpg

I think it came out pretty nice. If you have any questions just email cause Ive been there. Its really a lot easier than it sounds.

JBauer4363

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep. Pretty much the same except for the twist locks. The headlight treatment makes it look different.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
The good news for you is you probably can get away with just painting the black out part in your hood. On a 70 the whole hood plus stripes have to be redone. You can used your shaker trim ring to match up to the template and cut.

JBauer4363

1 - 11 of 11 Posts