Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked at various pictures of shaker air cleaner assemblies in different cars and I have noticed that some have a snorkel and some do not and there is a blanking plate over the hole.

So how do they work?

With a snorkel, I assume air is taken in through it all the time and the shaker intake is activated at a certain engine speed with the vacuum operated flap?

Without the snorkel, does it just suck air in through the shaker intake all the time?

·
Registered
684 Posts
The shaker has a vacuum switch. The default position is open. So, if somebody has a bad switch, the flap stays open. More than likely the ones with the blanking plate, just can't locate a snorkel.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Pretty simple really. Without a snorkel and with the blocking plate installed this is what it will look like. The mid plate, flapper, vacuum switch, rod and scoop assembly attach to the air cleaner base. In that case the mid plate flapper and rod are usually removed allowing air into the shaker scoop and directly thru the air filter and into the carb. No need for the snorkel or vacuum activated flapper. Brian

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts