Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a Edelbrock 1806 650 on my 351w...runs awesome, problem is it has an electric choke and the choke hits my aircleaner!!! I am thinking I have to use a riser b/c it doesnt look like I can move the choke. I am afraid my shaker is going to stick up too far now if I use a riser. Any ideas???

G

·
0 Posts
If you are using an original shaker assy, you will probably have to switch to the Holley carb. If your shaker is one of the fiberglass reproductions, you might could carefully cut out where the choke hits the air cleaner, then reglass it where you modified it ! Greg

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I installed a 1806 on my old Mach just before I sold it. It was a 351C with a original air cleaner base and it fit fine. The choke on mine was in the same place as the old choke so I dont get why it doesnt fit? I had a repro shaker top and it just barely fit under the hood. Unless Im missing something or the C is alot taller than the W I dont see any way you could use a riser. Check out the pic and you will see the shaker is about as high as it could get and still fit. That carb is something though isnt it! My car ran better than ever with one too!!!

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL60/938553/1727890/27635950.jpg

JBauer4363

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea it has never run this good so I dont wanna lose the Carb, and wouldnt dream of losing the shaker...I am considering the fiberglass one and trying to modify it...i only need like a half inch to clear the choke...

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
i dont blame you there! Im just puzzled why the choke is in the way? It seems like it should be in the same spot as the original. My new mach has the same carb, (odd previous owner just put on the same carb) on and it fits fine in there now. Im going to add the shaker and I dont see a problem! Hope not.

JBauer4363

·
Registered
122 Posts
hello,

i had the same problem with my shaker and edelbrock carb. i purchased the short edelbrock air cleaner spacer and it took care of the problem. it isnt an exact fit but it works. i have a slight gap around the outside edge where the cleaner meets the carb, but the shaker seems to stay in place. the joys of changing things to make your car better!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jbauer,
You got me thinkin so I just went and took another look...If I rotate the aircleaner base it sits fine, there is a place (indention) in the base made to fit over the stock one..problem is when I rotate it the snorkel arm is too far forward to fit over that metal piece that goes down to the headers (dont know what that is called). Do i have to have that peice going to the headers...wanna look semi-stock but will remove it if neccesary.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
IIRC that little metal ducting up from the headers is to help warm the car up faster by stealing some hot air from the exhasut and feeding it into the intake.

You should be albe to buy a flexible duct that you can work into the right shape, or if you live in a warmer climate just delete it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts