Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My new '67 GT FB has a shaking issue. When I let the clutch out in 1st gear from a complete stop the car shakes a lot...the shifter shakes and pretty much the whole car. I know how to drive a 4spd so that is not the issue! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif It only happens from a standstill, if rolling a little it is not there or not very noticable.
Someone suggested the trans mount? Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Motor has 2500 on it and I would assume the clutch has the same. I guess I could ask the PO.
Clutch seems fine in all other gears, actually seems fine in 1st if there was no shaking!
I assume a visual inspection would tell me about the motor mounts....how do I check the Z-bar linkage?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Vendor
5,209 Posts
You just want to make sure the z-bar isn't loose. Check where it mounts to the frame and the rods each end. Check your clutch pedal for wear at the pivot...

Is it like a shuddering?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Do not feel like the Lone Ranger. Mustangs are notorious for clutch chatter. If the linkage repairs do not fix the problem, then it could well be time for a new clutch, especially if the current clutch is remanufactured parts from a volume parts vendor. Many claim the only workable clutches are original Ford or high quality aftermarket lick Center Force or McLeod.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
There are lots of guys that have this problem; I'm one of them. I've done a thousand things and I can't solve it. If your linkage, flywheel and clutch are good, and adjusted correctly, If you pilot bearing is good, and the bell housing is not off center, if your diff is good and the universal's are good then you might consider this:

There was an article in the July issue of Mustangs And Fords, where a guy wrote in, who also said he had tried everything and was not able to solve the clutch shutter problem until he changed out his clutch linkage for a hydraulic-clutch master cylinder setup. He said this fixed the problem immediately.

He went on to say that the problem is due to big cams and the Z bar linkage. He said the linkage gets a harmonic in it that grabs at the cluth. I think he is correct, (but I know several guys have had problems without having a big cam). I'm going to try a cable operated clutch from Ron Morris and see if this helps my problem.

If you fix yours doing something different, I'd like to hear about it.

Good Luck,

·
Premium Member
19,169 Posts
In addition to the other posts, hot spots on the flywheel can cause the clutch to grab.

I've never driven or riden in a 65/66 mustang with the original clutch design without clutch chatter. I just drove Art's Coog with a Centerforce clutch, and it was very smooth, but without the clutch return spring in it, it had a very short throw to it. He used a z-bar setup. Oh, that Coog is fast!

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is like a shuddering, more like a violent shake when coming out of 1st from a stop...only from a stop. It is not a chatter. The shifter shakes and the dash shakes....I'm really hoping it is a mount issue since many of the other possibilites could seem like a headache and costly.

I'll keep everyone posted,
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
You can do all the above, but to fix the problem you'll end up looking at a new clutch/pressure plate.

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you being serious!? From the "!!!!" in your msg I would assume not. I was told all the suspension was redone on the car not too long ago and it seems to ride and handle fine. I can't see how the rear shocks would be causing the shudder! I'm sure you are joking and it's too early for me to see the meaning! LOL!

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Art,

From that statement you seem pretty sure that it is clutch related! Have you had some dealings with an issue like this?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
From that statement you seem pretty sure that it is clutch related! Have you had some dealings with an issue like this?

Yes, several.
In between the friction material on a clutch disc is a "spring". This spring acts as a cushion when the clutch is engaged. Over time (or due to a poor rebuild) the cushion between the friction material diminishes until there is no cushioning effect. When one area of the clutch disc looses it's spring, the clutch plate will have an uneven thickness.... The pressure plate won't be able to contact the disc evenly.... Make sense?
Seems the old Ford "long style" or 3 fingered clutch setups are especially prone to this kind of problem you're having. The diagphragm clutch assemblies seem to work much better. I always specify a Centerforce (It's a modified LuK), I've always had excellent results from them.

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Art,

Would the problem you describe only cause the shudder when coming from a complete stop?

My friend said he had the same problem and it was due to hot spotting on the flywheel. I guess if I have to replace the clutch might as well have the flywheel checked while at it.

Mike

·
Registered
692 Posts
You should also check your engine/header clearances. I had a problem that sounded just like yours. My headers were hitting the shock towers and steering box when I'd leave in first gear. The engine torqued enough to eat up the 1/4" clearance I had with my JBA headers. A simple torque strap shown below solved my problems completely.
http://jr.stangnet.com/images/Stang149.JPG

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
If you do replace the clutch, you should put a fresh surface on the flywheel. Replace the pilot bearing while your there as a bad pilot bearing will cause clutch shutter also. There is a procedure to use to check if the hole in the bell housing is centered. You should do that while your there. I'd suggest you also get a new throw out bearing. In other words, do everything you can to rule out all the possible causes so you don't have to keep yanking the motor out.

Then when you've done everything in that area, the other possible causes can be taken care of without pulling the motor. Except if you decide to replace the Z bar with a cable. Then you'll have to swap bell housings.

Until you solve this, one thing that seems to help most of us that have this problem is starting out in second gear when you can.

Good Luck,

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have pretty much assumed it is clutch or flywheel related...I was gonna get under it tonight and check the tranny mount but have to meet some fellow VMFers in 45mins! Maybe later...
I also think it is just as bad starting in 2nd...I think it happens regardless of gear as long as I'm coming from a stop.

Mike

·
Premium Member
19,169 Posts
One other thing I forgot to state. I found that revving the engine a bit more helps reduce chatter when starting in first gear. If I rev the engine up to 1500 rpm or a bit higher and then slip the clutch, then I rarely get the chatter. However, if I start out at 850 rpm or so, I'm almost guaranteed the get the shakes. Just don't overdo it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts